Randomized hair length? How?

I’m trying to come to grips with the hair/fur system and I’m hitting a roadblock. I’m sure I’m just missing the obvious, but how can I set a random threshold for hair length? I can set hair length, but all of my strands are uniformly the same length and there appears to be no way to randomize that.

I’m almost positive a “random” slider was in 2.49, but in 2.57 I can’t find such a setting anywhere.

Thanks for the help.

Does no one know? Blender 2.49 had this feature and its incredibly important for good looking fur. If the feature is no longer there is there another way to do it?

Select the hair emitter.
Below it you will see a “CHILDREN” menu.
LENGTH and THRESHOLD will work together to effect the length of hairs.
You can also use VertexGroups to control hair lenth, Look under the VERTEXGROUPS menu at the bottom of the emitter.
I’ve only done a little with hair but this is what I found in my quest.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I saw that children can be randomized a bit, but it’s main strands that make the most difference. I hope that feature comes back soon. In the meantime, i’ll play with vertex groups and see how far I can take it.

turning up the random setting under the velocity tab seems to make a little bit of randomness.

Uh… what velocity tab? :slight_smile:

I’m searching all over in the particle system tabs and can’t find one anywhere. What version of blender are you using? I’m using 2.57b.

Select the Advanced tickbox for more hair settings

Attachments

Oh yeah, I missed that this morning, ugh. I’ve actually already played with that setting as well. It doesn’t seem to randomize velocity as much as it randomizes the direction of the normals. What we need is a way to randomize velocity alone.

I know this is an old thread but I was just looking for it myself. I think I found it, In 2.62 it’s under the render tab, where you turn on strand render. Listed underneath timing