Range selection suggestion

Hi, everyone!

I already posted this on Blender forum, but i think that here, it may have chance to succeed :slight_smile:

I’d like to express how excited I am about how far blender got when I didn’t follow (I had to learn XSI Softimage because of work) it closely… AMAZING Work!

I don’t know if this is the right place to post this (hope it is), but I would have a little suggestion, or request… It would be REALLY cool, if there would be a feature for selecting a RANGE of components (verts, edges, or faces) in edit mode… In Softimage it works like this:

You select one component and then you ALT-select (it can of course be any other modifier in blender, to fit in perfectly) other component, that isn’t a neighbour of the first selected and what you get is a selection of all components leading from the first to the second selected… A video is worth a thousand words, so here is what I have in mind:

It is a real timesaver, once you get used to it, so it would be really great, if someone could do a script, or even if it would get to the trunk…

If you read this far, thank you and BIG thanks to anyone, who would implement this function in blender…

Bye!

in face select mode, ctrl + RMB.

WOW, thanks a lot, I wasn’t aware of that! I already tried it and it works…
But still I would have few notes concerning the functionality:

1. Deselecting doesn’t work. if you select a long row of polys and later decide, that you want to deselect from here to there - it doesn’t work…

2. It woul be nice, if this worked in vertex and edge select mode too… I think it shouldn’t be too hard to implement, since the “pathfinding” functionality is already implemented with faces, or am I wrong?

Thanks a lot

1. It woul be nice, if this worked in vertex and edge select mode too… I think it shouldn’t be too hard to implement, since the “pathfinding” functionality is already implemented with faces, or am I wrong?
    Edges work the same and for vertices select two and use Select / Vertex Path
    You can also change the edge select mode in the toolshelf (T) so instead on selecting you could set it to mark the edge as a seam, as sharp, as a bevel etc.

If you want to enable deselect change the key shortcuts in the User Preferences / Input panel.