Please offer your thoughts on materials, shading and general presentation!
(Critique about everything else is welcome too.)
— Some of my thoughts:
- I think the blade looks too rough.
- the iron materials look too clean and bright. I had difficulties to achieve a look like refurbished iron. It often looked like it spend two weeks, lying on a busy road, in the rain.
- The leather lacks SSS, i think thats noticeable.
- I think a better distinction between the parts material-wise would help. The Iron looks too uniform right now.
— A proper Description:
Modelled loosely by reference.
- 11,3k faces, all quads, subdivision capable
could have gone with less faces, but i preferred indidividual parts over creating a single watertight mesh.
- 4 Textures 2k each
I struggled a lot with UV-unwrapping and creating proper looking materials. I think i should have gone with actually using the anisotropic shader instead of faking it with the normal map. As a result, I’m somewhat unsatisfied with the final result, but considering the time i already spend on it, i wanted to reach a finishing point.
- Modelling in blender
- Material auditing in Substance
- Rendering in Cycles
- Post-processing in Blender. Minor corrections in darktable
- arrangement in Gimp
The wood is 100% procedural
The height map went unused, i accidently included it in the breakdown.