Raw Egg - simulation ideas

For the spring/Easter season, I’m going to do some modeling of an egg. Sounds really simple right?
I have a few ideas that I want to play with that aren’t so simple.

Idea 1: A fluid simulation - Imagine that the egg is at rest and then the shell instantly disappears. The gooey contents spill out on the table. That much isn’t so tough, but can I have the yolk (a soft body) floating on the fluid somehow? What if the yolk is then punctured and then goes from a soft body to a fluid. Then the yolk would run over the top of the white. Does anyone have ideas on how to set this up, or at least fake it? I guess you could simulate the white and then bake it and then run a sim separately for the yolk soft body, bake, then fluid.

Idea 2: Glass egg - I’m using NURBS surfaces to model the egg. I’m not very familiar with NURBS. If I want the egg shell to look like glass do I need to give it some thickness? (a shell with a slightly smaller shell within). The IOR of air, the shell, and the egg white would all be different. I’m curious as to how the ray tracer behaves as it crosses between the interface of materials with different IOR. Also, The yolk material would need to have subsurface scattering, right?

Idea 3: Decomposing egg - I’ve got the beta version of Acropora by voxelogic. It’s really awesome! I’m going to mess around with it and try to do a simulation of the egg (as if it were carved of wood or something) slowing crumble apart. Acropora will handle the mesh, but I need blender to do a particle sim or something as the material falls away. Maybe a fluid sim? Is there a way to simulate an object, say an icecube, melting slowly away? (and conserve volume)

Just some ideas.

@kballing Did you manage to make the egg the way you described here? I want to do the same thing and it seems that it’s not as straight-forward as I thought.