Re-designing Blender's UI

The way you put it seems as if no one (outside of BI/BF) has ever put a sincere effort to tidy up the Blender UI.

There has actually been great work done on this front. Actually I’m pretty sure you are well aware of these, and what you say I can’t interpret other then of a hypocritical nature.

rRMB Menu by PLyczkowski. This in my opinion is the best implemented proposal for reorganizing Blender’s Menus. There’s no problem finding anything in this context-sensitive menu. It’s already done, “all” that is left is just to follow this road-map and propagate it throughout Blender. And Pavel had done this some 2.5 years ago. What’s more he’s/was a member of the infamous UI team. Why is this not already in Blender?! Not IN as an Addon, but a paradigm.

rSelection by PLyczkowski. This time Pavel tackles part of UI, the mess that is interaction. Again, a lot of thought and effort has gone into making this. And eventually packing it into an Addon format, making it very accessible for test drives and usage. Why is this already not an option in Blender?

Anything that pitiwazou does! Wazou’s Pie Menus, Wazou’s RMB Pie Menu, Speed-Suite … SpeedFlow, SpeedSculpt, SpeedRetopo and all the other things he had done. It’s not just tools he’s developing. He’s developing the UI, workflow. Showing us the roadmap for smart tools.

And that’s just 2 guys, and a couple of examples I’m listing here. There’s quite bit more examples and effort done in both python and C to prototype alternatives.

I’m gonna throw in my Custom Blender Setup as an alternative to the interaction/UI as well.

So as you see saying that “no-one thinks these ideas are so much better that it is worth getting off their backsides and doing something about it” is not true.

There would be a lot more of such improvements if there was a will/trend, by BI/BF, of accepting and implementing some of the great ideas that are floating about and integrating them into Blender.

The problem is Blender is designed the way it is. And whoever designed it is still around with great influence and is unwilling (at least unwilling to this point) to make any changes in that department. Actually not just unwilling to make changes but is not allowing any changes (Colored Wireframes). Maybe they have a good reasoning for this, maybe not, either way it is not open for discussion.

To make my final conclusion, Yes Blender’s UI is pretty good, BUT only as a platform. A platform you can use to build on and create your own UI. Out-of-the-box Blender has one of the worst UIs in the history of software. I say this because I see Interaction as an integral part of UI.

As an example, Blender is my tool of choice for 3D. Definitely for almost all of my Sculpting, Modeling, UVs. With FBX, and now Alembic, I’m staying in Blender even more, taking up rigging and animation as well. Also using it for final corrective passes on animation originating from other platforms. I’m talking both personal projects and work in production studios. And all this thanks to the many community enhancements (UI/workflow, and tools). Out-of-the-box-Blender, I’d never use that thing.

id love the ability to pull out a window and have it floating so i can pull it to my second/third display without having to go “user preferences” - “Change window” ,ext

Shift + Click on the Top-Right corner (3 back-slash lines)?

It seems a slight drag on your mouse is needed as well. :slight_smile: So Shift-click-drag the upper-right corner.

Does anyone know a way to have that new window “always on top”? Sometimes the overlap is totally acceptable.

It depends on the window manager you’re using. In Windows and Mac, I don’t think those operating systems have an easy way for a user to stipulate a sticky window.

this lets your drag window around within blender, im talking about allowing your to drag a window out of blender and have it float independently

Nope, in windows it creates a new window that you can drag wherever you want, other monitors included

AquaSnap was able to pin windows on Win7. Tried it, but haven’t used it much, you can always find space with dual monitors. I’d assume there’s other appz as well that do the same for 7 and 10.

Hi all,

In ZBrush I could record a simple macro and turn it into a tiny button and put it anywhere on my menu. Is there a way to make a “macro button” in Blender and place it in the “Header”?

Render engine in the render menu makes perfect sense. I my looking at the UI having buttons/options that affects a disconnected parts of the UI was one of the confusing things about blender. This was one of the places where it happens.

I wrote this paper on how to clean up the blender GUI a few years ago and I still stand by it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByptptTpyQWeNUlQYl9na3c2VGc/view?usp=sharing

I think that BF must mark a protocols or standards for addons and plugins because one of the worst problems actually is that a lot of plugins stay in all modes (paint, edit, object, sculpt,…) when only needs one or two. This make that all plugins stay in all sites making a lot of tabs. With cathide you can improve something, but it isn’t a way

I really like this proposal, it indeed clears the clutter of options, help you focus and looks elegant. Would be great for the Outliner to also be a floating panel.

+1 it gives user alot of freedom to choose where panels are and floating “N & T” panel would be dope

@DcVertice
as far as addons included in blender 2.79, the vast majority are context sensitive and only show up in the right modes. also the tabs have been greatly reduced and the majority of the panel addons have in the addons preferences, the option to move/rename the panel to any tab category you like. these rules I introduced over the last 2 release with help from lijenstina.
So, now lets look at where the issues are for addons really, who disregards these rules and sensibilities?
we can now lay the blame squarely at external addons devs, with their excessive panels, each one desiring their own tab name, the lazyness of not checking hotkeys conflicts which causes conflicts between Blender addons and built in functions.
We will be continuing to improve this situation in blender 2.8 addons with even more rules and protocols to integrate addons into the ui in a reasonable and constructive manor.

As far as this thread goes… i think the dev is no longer active, imo this was a bad bump.

I might start my own thread soon for ui redesign. I have been working on something big!
here i have activated 300+ addons and changed all the panel locations and tabs. also there’s tabs in the properties shelf to help distribute and separate features and functions into common places.
I may be releasing this around 2 weeks after 2.79 is released. no mockup, only real code and design.

@Meta-androcto I talked about external addons, like…

• BPainter
  • Surface Follow Panel
  • U4 Collisions
  • Surface Constraint Tools
  • Zaloopok

Mesh tools with own tabs, other in extended tools, others in misc because don’t have a category,… Yesterday I edit the py files and with it and cathide reduce the tabs to only 6 in the worst case, before I had 14-15.

I think that blender don’t must allow use a plugin all the modes easily ¿how many addons needs more than object mode and other mode? It’s really necessary Bpainter when you make other thing that paint a texture? weight tools in edit mode?

I read parts of it again. it’s not perfect and not entirely clearly written.
If this is ever going to be seriously considered, I’ll look into it again.

I think might be a good idea to suggest it here? https://developer.blender.org/project/view/12/

double post, ignore.

will there be a way to lock the UI from being changed? i will often click the split window button by mistake.

sorry if this has been mentioned.