Read any good books lately?

I like to read. It’s genetic, and I married a reader so we’re continuing the whole thing. So, has anybody read anything good lately? I’ve been reading Laurie R. King, both her Kate Martinelli murder mysteries and the Mary Russell series. I highly recommend the Mary Russell books, starting with “The Beekeeper’s Apprentice”. It’s a series of stories of a young woman who meets Sherlock Holmes in later life, and their adventures together. As you may imagine, an older Holmes is a tough and crotchety guy.

Best modern sci-fi I’ve read lately are books by Alastair Reynolds and Sarah Zettel.

I read the first two books of Ember, and Ender’s Shadow. I read Ender’s Game first and I just had to read Ender’s Shadow.

Haha, you’ll have to read Xenocide when you finish that one. Those books have stolen me a lot of sleeping time.

I’m now reading Thief of time by Pratchett. It’s not my favourite one from him, but all of his novels are a good read.

I finished Ender’s Shadow already, I must check out Xenocide.

Well right now I’m reading “Otherland” By Tad Williams. I just finished the first book and just started the second. They are soooooo good, although it’s been tough finding time to read with 2 films on the go and school and everything :frowning: . But I would totally recommend them to anyone! (Especially sci-fi fans)

I love these book threads!

I’m three quarters of the way through “A Confederacy of Dunces” which I am discovering is an absolute masterpiece. Highly recommended.

‘The Emperors New Mind’ is an absolute classic.
‘Great Waters’ (Deborah Cramer)is beautifully poetic.
‘Schopenhauer’s Telescope’(Gerard Donovan) is interesting too - a philosophical dialogue on morality and humanity.
Currently Lee Smolin’s ‘The Trouble with Physics’ - I love self help books.

I really like the story of Robert Ludlums’ Covert op series. I just want to follow the action packed life of Dr. Jonathan Smith, and the rest of the gang.

Well, there was Brisingr.

Didn’t like it too much though.

The Ender Wiggin books are great. I just started another one by Card, “Alvin Journeyman”, that I found at the free bookstore in Baltimore. I’ll let you know how it is.

And my wife and I both really like the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child.

And finally, I just gave my son (14 yo) a copy of “Dune”. I think he’ll enjoy that.

I read the first two books of Ember, and Ender’s Shadow. I read Ender’s Game first and I just had to read Ender’s Shadow.

You know, I didn’t think it could get any better than Ender’s Game, but I actually enjoyed Ender’s Shadow more.

Both are highly recommended.

If you like some medieval/fantasy flair I’d recommend the following

• Scott Lynch “The lies of Locke Lamora” (Think Ocean’s Eleven in a fantasy world spiced with some of the most hilarious dialogues and scenes I’ve seen in a book)
  • Joe Abercrombie “The First Law” It’s a series with some unique characters and again a lot of hilarious moments. I enjoyed reading those three volumes very much.
  • George R.R. Martin “Song of Ice and Fire”. Again a series and everything you might have heard about it is true in my opinion - as long as it is good things you’ve heard :wink:

I am just going through “Drawing from the right side of the brain” by Betty Edwards. Found it at the library and I think I am the first to grab it.

But I read pretty much anything. Trevalian is a good read.

Last thing I read was Lovecraft. I’m currently reading Boven is het stil by Gerbrand Bakker. I think he also wrote Joe Speedboot, I’m not sure though, but for all the Dutch folks on here, I can seriously recommend Joe Speedboot.

I’m reading ‘The God Delusion’ by Richard Dawkins. And as for Joe Speedboot, my dutch teacher was absolutely lyrical about it :stuck_out_tongue: But I don’t know…

I’ve just finished reading some Edgar Allan Poe. Gotta love him :stuck_out_tongue:

Poe? Nah, waaay too morbid…

I read the Bible a lot, but I also have enjoyed a lot of science fiction books in times past,
like the first three books of Arthur Clarke’s “Space Odyssey” series, although the last one (3001: The Final Odyssey) wasn’t very good. Mmm, “Fahrenheit 451” by Ray Bradbury, and one called “Alas, Babylon” by Pat Frank.

It’s been a while since I’ve read any of these, but I liked all of them.

Marilyn Mansons Biography…

Its really messed up…But i loved it

I am currently reading All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot - Really great book so far, I’m pretty certain it’s a classic…

-Funddevi

EDIT: Previous good books that I’ve read are the entire Myth series by Robert Asprin, they’re fun books with lots of humor in 'em. I think Myth Conceptions is the first book…

You know, I didn’t think it could get any better than Ender’s Game, but I actually enjoyed Ender’s Shadow more.

Same here. I enjoyed Ender’s Shadow a lot.

Yeah, I read that one too! It’s great. I wore my copy out reading it over and over. Dr. Herriot had a way of making the story come alive.