Read any good books lately?

Their really Christian specific books, but I enjoyed “Prophet” by Frank E. Peretti and “This Present Darkness” by him too. I meant to read “This Present Darkness”'s sequel, “Piercing the Darkness”, but it got lost in boxes when I moved and I haven’t gone looking for it. I haven’t read any real good books lately, other than Children’s Classics like “Black Beauty”, “Little Women” and “Anne of Green Gables”, but if you haven’t read those, you had a very sad childhood. :smiley:

I also liked Hannah Hurnard’s “Hinds’ Feet on High Places” too. And, yes, the classics too. There was also a book called “Frosty”, by Harriet Weaver, about an orphaned raccoon that Ms. Weaver (a park ranger somewhere in California) raised, that I really liked. “Where the Red Fern Grows” by Wilson Rawls- I just cried.

Oh darn I forgot that! Although I have the children’s version, I prefer the full version. :smiley:

Yeah, “Hinds’ Feet” was good. The sequel, “Mountains of Spices” wasn’t quite as well written, but it was OK too.

Hitchicker’s guide to the Galaxy is a must.

TLOLL is a real page turner. It’s a joy to read fantasy that isn’t either aimed at 15-year old boys or idiots. Red Seas Red Skies (or the other way around) is the next one in the series - equally good.

After devouring TLOLL, I suggest some China Meiville for pudding…Perdido Street Station is particularly delicious, and hearteningly political :wink:

I picked the Betty Edwards book up from a Blender.org link…and haven’t regretted it. Once you do the “upside-down” lesson, things really start to make sense…

I’ve put the Orson Scott Card “Alvin Maker” book aside for Alastair Reynolds’ “Diamond Dogs/Turquoise Nights”. While “Diamond Dogs” is a bit referential to some older sci-fi I’m really enjoying it.

I spend most of my book time reading computer manuals. The last non-computer manual thing I read was Genius Squad by some Australian person. ( that was the first time in months I read a book directed at my age level) But the last book I really liked was Gödel, Escher, and Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter.

Reading The Catcher in the Rye at the moment, which is interesting. After that I plan to read A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving) and Infinite Jest (David Foster Wallace). I’ve heard they are excellent…