Real Holodeck Finally Created using Euclideon's Unlimited Detail Engine

I think I’ve heard of this company and their voxel engine a decade (probably even more) ago.

They still do marketing?
I have yet to see a practical application from them.

Voxels do have huge potential.

Just like scientists using billions and billions of particles or datasets for their simulations of real physics, Voxels present an option to mimic nature more accurately than our polygon approximations.

Then again, scientist are using super computers for months until they get their results, so until there is a giant increase of computing speed I’m afraid we still only will see marketing videos :frowning_face:

But what does this have to do with a holodeck?!

There is no holography and nothing physically graspable in this technology. Not to mention the use of light bending electromagnetic fields…not even wibbly wobbly stuff…oops wrong universe…

What they showcase is VR or AR with stereoscopics.
I don’t even listen anymore to these fake hype things…

(cgCody) #22

I’m confused. Everyone seems to still be saying Euclidion’s technology is a scam because nobody’s seen an application of it (Which was understandable when they first made a splash years ago), but there’s an actual physical location where people can go and try it for themselves. Does this place not exist?

https://goo.gl/maps/8NqUJ3QTtwD2

(Ace Dragon) #23

It does exist, but the term ‘holodeck’ is used about as loosely as those so-called “hover-boards” that actually have wheels. I’ve seen a youtube video of the place, you basically wear a helmet while surrounded by screens on 5 sides. It’s more immersive than the average arcade (as seen with the way the user’s body reacts to things like falls), but it’s quite a ways from how it’s done in Star Trek.

So credit is due since they put out an actual product, but as I mentioned, it will likely not catch on as they had to literally re-invent everything related to graphics and such so as to work without polygons (with a noticeably lower graphics quality to boot).

(cgCody) #24

Then “rudimentary” might be a better descriptor than “scam”. I don’t think polygonal graphics were considered a scam when it was new and very basic, and it succeeded despite also having to be invented. In fact, ALL ideas are some sort of re-invention of a previously established way of doing something. That in and of itself won’t tell you whether something is a scam or if it will catch on. You just have to wait and see.

I also don’t see anything wrong with the use of the words holodeck and hologram. The origin of the word was explained in the video. I don’t think the Greeks had Star Trek in mind, so you could just as easily say Star Trek is using the word wrong.

I personally don’t think voxel technology is a scam but I understand scepticism with regards to Euclideon the company.

Our problem with the term holography used so loosely (and wrongly) as marketing hype is:
Cambridge dictionary:

"holography"
the activity of making holograms

"hologram"
an image made with a laser beam, in which the objects shown look like they have depth rather than appearing flat and can seem to move

Though I do like the wiktionary entry more:
" holography - A technique for recording, and then reconstructing, the amplitude and phase distributions of a coherent wave disturbance; used to produce three-dimensional images or holograms"

“holography” is a very specific term for a technology that is very different to what they show usually in videos claiming to present holography.
Holographic images are typically not projections and not stereoscopic.
An interference pattern is stored on holographic film (or shown on a display) which is illuminated by a similarly coherent light source to the laser used to make them.

As for the linked video, I’m not even going into talking about the holodeck, since that is (for now, possibly) fiction.However they do have their explanations in the Trek universe which is not even related to what we saw in the video.