Real light in Blender?

Hi, I know my way around Blender but I’m still a novice. How would I go about having real light in blender rather than faked specularity? By that I mean having a mesh with a little reflectivity to accurately depict light rather than rely on faking it.

I’ve been fiddling around with luxrender. I’ve attached two pictures of a simple setup, one with Lux, one with Blender. With lux, the light source is shown. Blender, a dull scene. Both have reflective surfaces.

So I guess my question is: How do I get blender internal to render the light source so I don’t have to rely on specularity? Does it even support it? Do I have to rely on Luxrender for real light?

Lux: http://www.box.net/shared/o0v1taxgrkxn35914k6m
Blender: http://www.box.net/shared/1ems20n2dhbi20ov2r56

Oops, I thought I had posted in the Lighting section. Could a Mod please move my thread? Sorry for the trouble.

As Blender Internal is a pass-based non-physical renderer, specular is the best you’re going to be able to do. Highlights are calculated in their own pass. Lux, on the other hand, is an unbiased, physically-based renderer which uses real world material properties to create an image. That having been said, I’m confused about what you’re asking because your pictures didn’t seem to attach correctly. Most reflection surfaces can be very accurately faked using Blender, so with the right info, we might be able to help you.

I uploaded them. Sorry, forgot to.

So what I get from this is that Blender does not try to do it all - It provides the functionality that would best serve the majority of users and lets those that want real-world lighting to use Lux/Yafaray?

Thanks for the help.

It’s more that Blender Internal is optimized for animation, where real-world calculations are not feasible with time restraints, while lux is better suited for stills with production quality, like interiors, or product renders.

Also, just looked at your renders, and it appears that what you want is BI to render light sources. You can get this effect by using an area light and setting the size to whatever you desire. Make sure you turn shadows on, as they are not on by default with area lights.

simple… just download a cycles build and your done :slight_smile:

Also, just looked at your renders, and it appears that what you want is BI to render light sources. You can get this effect by using an area light and setting the size to whatever you desire. Make sure you turn shadows on, as they are not on by default with area lights.

The BI render that I posted was using an area light. While it displayed with Lux I can’t get it to show with BI. Unless there’s something that I’m missing I’d say that you just can’t do it.

simple… just download a cycles build and your done

No unstable software on the 3d front for me, thank you. But I appreciate bringing it to my attention. I’ll keep my eye on that project…

If the area light isn’t showing in your render, then you have a problem with your reflective material. You may have to add some fresnel mirroring, which glass has anyway. It would be easier if I could tell exactly what your scene was supposed to be. If you’re still not getting the effect you want (which you should be able to, it’s working for me) add a plane with a white, shadeless emission value of 1 and parent it to the area light.

I’ve tried many times to get it to work but it just won’t. I don’t have a specific project I’m working on at the moment, those above were just test blends I threw together.

Here’s the .blend of a simple setup. An area light and a reflective plane. It does not show up.

untitled.blend (403 KB)