Real Market BGE Game

I am aware people have been trying for a long time to market a BGE game and many have failed. So please don’t write this post off before you read it.

I have been doing market research over the past nine months and have found a market niche for a BGE-based game centered around a modified version of Ashsid’s Artoolkit plug-in. I’ve upgraded the functionality and tracker support, and have a game demo made.

I won’t go into details on this public forum, for fear of other companies finding the info, but the market indeed is there, and I have experience selling into it with well-placed connections that will make ours a success.

The scale of the project is well within the grasp of BGE, meaning it isn’t a huge MMO or FPS game as they usually fail due to the huge amount of work required. Instead, our game will be something easily accomplished, yet to the consumer marketplace will seem a stroke of marvel never before seen.

I am posting today because I’m looking for people to join the team:

1. Mainly need designers who are good at high-quality BGE modeling, to make 25 unique creatures, using the latest 2.48 release game features such as soft-body, dynamic lighting, bump mapping, OpenGL, etc., anything to make the creatures look as real/high quality as possible. I can provide concept art, or you can use your own ideas for some of the creatures too.

2. Also need artists / mappers to make textures for the 25 creatures mentioned above.

3. Also need someone good at python programming for BGE.

The project will use these 25 creatures and python programming and sell to the consumer market, expected sales are forecasted at 10,000 – 50,000 the first year, and up to 200,000 the second.

It will be a fun project to work on, and a good team, but what’s more, it’s a project that can make a lot of money. Expected project time is just around 8 weeks, so it’s not a hugely long commitment for anyone.

Each of us on the team will own a share % of the company, when the sales come in it’s as simple as just splitting the revenue according to our % shares.

As I said, I can’t say too many details on this public forum, but please PM me if you are interested or need more information before your consideration.

One more thing, I, as all of you, love BGE and having fun writing little games in it, but wouldn’t we all rather be making money doing it? Just a thought… But that’s where this project aims to go.

Cheers to the BGE community-
Akula

How old r u?

You will be a millionaire! Wish I was as smart as you are.
Pls show some of the concepts, but I understand if you don’t. not good to leak them, others can steal em:yes:

@ Casper: Thanks, but there is a lot of work to do before becoming a millionare, tho that is the general idea :slight_smile: Are you a modeler/texturer in BGE? Perhaps you would like to help?

@Alamkira: I’m 26. Eight years experience in hardware/software product design.

Hi Akula,

This project sounds pretty interesting considering the amount of children out there who love these card games. I can see some kid in a store watching a video of how the game works and instantly begging their parents for an interactive card game like this. There is a lot of competition out there, but I’ve yet to see anyone else try what you are describing.

I’m currently busy at the moment working on a personal project and it may be a while before im free. However, I will keep this in mind and mention it to others who might be interested.

If I were to join this project I would ask for more information on the following:

How do you plan to advertise the product?

How will you raise the money for production costs? (DVD’s, game cards, packaging)

How have you determined the sales figures you have presented?

Can you give us a short summary of your market research?

I don’t think you would want to answer all of these publicly, but please do provide more information if you can.

I hope this project goes well, It would be great to see another successful commercial BGE project.

Good luck :wink:

expected sales are forecasted at 10,000 – 50,000 the first year

well aren’t you the confident one?

anything to make the creatures look real/high quality

as cool as that sounds, you need to realize, the BGE is no cryengine or unreal engine, cryengine has hundreds of developers working around the clock and being paid big money.
Blender has under 100 developers (even less that are working with the BGE), these developers are unpaid (i think), and these developers still need to make a living, so they can’t work on Blender 24/7.
Sorry to burst your bubble man. =\

our game will be something easily accomplished, yet to the consumer marketplace will seem a stroke of marvel never before seen.

Yeah, good luck with that.

How old r u?

ha, exactly what i was thinking.

as cool as that sounds, you need to realize, the BGE is no cryengine or unreal engine, cryengine has hundreds of developers working around the clock and being paid big money.
Blender has under 100 developers (even less that are working with the BGE), these developers are unpaid (i think), and these developers still need to make a living, so they can’t work on Blender 24/7.
Sorry to burst your bubble man. =\

You can actually get some pretty good results next-gen almost if you use normal maps, spec maps and good diffuse map. You can fake most of the stuff in those game engines in BGE and it runs pretty well.

This project sounds really interesting I’d love to help out in a week or so(when my exams are finished :D).

oh don’t get me wrong, i think the BGE is up to PS2/xbox graphics now, it has really excelled in the past few versions, problem being people think that they can just stuff 100000 poly’s into a scene, plus glsl shadows and such, and then they get mad when the fps starts to drop.

@Blackrusader: I know what you mean about exams, those take priority :wink: How about in a week or so you drop me a PM and we can talk a little more about it? Sound good?

@Lipsonfire: Thank you for your critical thinking. I have, done more with BGE than you, and been on these forums longer than you, I think I know what I’m doing. Anyway, it’s your negativity that’s going to keep your projects down, me I look to the possibilities like every successful businessman does. Keep that in mind next time you’re about to criticize someone else’s project without knowing all the facts first.

sigh whatever floats your boat bud, i’m sure this project will be the best blender has ever seen and all blend heads will bow in its majesty.

(back to reality)
After you realize that how long you’ve been doing something has nothing to do with how good you are, don’t go blaming blender when you realize your project isn’t nearly as great as you expect it to be.

Keep that in mind next time you’re about to criticize someone else’s project without knowing all the facts first.

heh, there were facts? i thought those were just you rambling on about things and numbers that make you sound like your an expert, but in reality your just another average blend head.

Don’t take my posts in the wrong way, good luck with your project, i hope it explodes on the market and brings many people to blender. I just don’t see that happening.

@Lipsonfire: you are entitled to your opinions. But you’re missing the scope of this project. We’ll post updates so you can see it soon.

I would like to note that A) this should be in the group projects forum, and B) the fonts in the screenshots are almost unreadable. The top picture really needs a lot of work on teh font, and the bottom one wants a lot more contrast ont eh letters. Try darkening them, and dramatically reducing the strength of the rock texture (probably just hte normal map, it’s really high contrast and distractingly noisy)

I’m not free to help, but I will wish you the best of luck on your project, I’d love to see where this goes : )

and i hope you prove me wrong with those updates, :slight_smile:
good luck

@ Captain: Thanks for the advice, I’ll take that into account :slight_smile:
It should be a unique game, the project uses Artoolkit to animate small creatures on playing cards, which can battle each other when held up to the webcam, much like a live version of pokemon cards.

The idea is to build a brand name, like VenomSeven said, and get children into it. I’ll post a video soon with some preliminary Artoolkit shots.

This statement is overflowing with maturity.

The idea is a very nice one, I don’t think I’ve heard of anything similar.

Best of luck to you,

Dalton

That sounds a lot like eye of judgement, which used real cards and a camera, and on the screen showed 3d monsters on the cards and such. I’ve never played it, but it’s probably worth looking at if it’s similar to what you’re making. (provided you have access to a PS3 and the game, cards, and eyetoy)

Captain Oblivion is right, Eye of Judgement seems very similar to this concept. It has its flaws, though… You could cheat easily with the help of a scanner and a printer and it’s even easier to cheat in online as the game only keeps track of the cards you place, not the ones in your hand or deck, so you can arrange them the way you want without having to rely on luck.

@akula: It’s not too bad to develop a concept that has already been developed once, provided that you offer a better experience. You already have a winning point in compatibility by using Blender (compatible with Windows/Linux/MacOS). That enables your project to be accesible to a wider user base.

Just to mention… In some way, I felt like lipsonfire when I first read your post some days ago. Please take into account (for another chance where you’re going to expose a project) that you must present it in the most professional and clear way possible: The graphics you provided acted against you, as they were poorly designed and offered no clue to the project or to your past works. Plus, it wouldn’t have harmed to write a small briefing about yourself, why should we trust and follow you.

I’m on your side akula :slight_smile:

Blender has strong capabilities that can only be gathered with
blood and tears. If you got what it take, you CAN make it.

Your mind is strong and you seem to know what you do, but I
won’t join your project since I’m already working on mines :smiley:

Still,
Take this friendly tap on the back !

If you need a hand, I can alway help with my
strong knowledge of Blender’s logic and python :eyebrowlift:

PS: make sure to take a look at this link before trying to sell your game

http://www.blendenzo.com/faqMakeExe.html

( I’ve few examples if you want )

Thanks for the encouragement guys, you rock! :slight_smile:

Yep, it’s a little like Eye of Judgement, but EoJ required a $300 PS3… we’ll do it with a $7 webcam (yes, $7 from China, one of my market connections…)

Will post more screens soon. Thanks

Sounds like a cool project but I first want to see the questions answered VenomSeven postet earlier - this would help a lot to take your project more serious. :yes:

Anyways, Good Luck