"real" material in blender

Hi,

I have a question, can i create a material in blender with texture, that have a fixed size? Like a tile with mapping 3x3x3 meters doent matter the geometry attached to it, matter that the material have that same mapping size.

A painted wall, for example i can have an mapped material with 1x1x1 meter, then i can put that in various elements, but with the same visual.

And with that can i export the mapping information to a external render like octane render?

Im asking that, because i have a ton of textures only for archviz and its kind non productive create an UV map for everything, i can i find a solution for that i can create a material library to speed up my moddeling.

Thanks for helping me.

You can change the units from blender units to meters in the scene tab.

I know that, the units in meters its only to illustrate an example, the question is, how can i create a material, like that texture with fixed size, to use in another geometry or even another file, to create a library.

In that example, the texture real size is 6x6 meters, so where can i mapping the material itself to be useable to various objects, sorry if i am being repetitive. But i cant explain better than that… : /

Thanks for your help : )

With procedural just use world coordinates in the mapping tab.

If you;re using textures you can do the same thing, but you are limited to either a planar or cube mapping. (personally i use uv 99% so will have to check details when at my computer…)

hummm interesting, but how can i config that on mapping? Another question, is there a chance to see mapped texture in viewport with “fixed” size without use UV mapping?

You can set a texture to “object” in your material settings, meaning an object in the scene (usually an empty). If this object is set to 3x3x3 meters you have you dimensions. However I dont know if this exports well to Octane.

You set it up in the texture context “mapping” panel.

set texture type to image, coordinates to “Global” projection to “cube” and set the size in the xyz fields (that’s blender units to map the texture over… by default 1m on each axis…

http://www.cowtoolsmedia.co.uk/assets/mapping.png

In GLSL it’ll only show from one axis…

I’m sure GLSL could cope with this though if someone made a patch.

If you use planar mapping then it’s perfect in glsl,