Real Motion Capture

Is there a real motion capture script for Blender.

By real mocap i mean that you can import a video to blender and set the tracking points wich will create mocap data.

This is not what I want: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/ReconstructionAndMotionTracking
Because:

Sorry, this is for recovering camera motion and scene structure. Mocap is an entirely different can of worms. Maybe someday, but not for a while.

no you could hardly get mocap in a script, since you first need a good tracking/calibration algos, which are being implemented exactly in libmv. but you might find some external/maybe free / softwares which could do it for you.

As far as I understand there are importers for Blender from some of the “standard” formats, but for doing the actual mocap you need a camera(s) or some other motion capturing devices (and usually some markers on the people/objects moving).

So, what do you really want?

2D movie file to 3D motion? hard as hell if the objects are complex like humans (that is not just single moving blocks). There are some apps out there that do at least part of it, but Blender still doesn’t even have a working camera tracking script as far as I know

I want to do the actual mocap indeed. Number of camera’s doesnt matter, but it would be cool to do it with as less as possible because the community can easily adopt it.
It is for a school project thus they have enough camaras. Markers are not a problem, we just want to capture 3d movements wich we can use in blender.

you could also try to use ARToolKit via PyARTK. it’s a python library, and with special markers, you can do mocap. but don’t count on whole person tracking if you don’t have at least a hd cam, since ARToolKit is quite dependent on the resolution of the camera. Good luck with it, I’d be happy to see someone doing thing like that. If you’d get really interested in this solution, I could post you some links at the end of next week (when I hope to have time for my own projects)

Why not to go here and download TONS of mpcap.
http://mocap.cs.cmu.edu/

Hi Jogai,

I work on a motion capture script based on DLT. I have found matlab kinemat toolbox which can be translate to python. I have a GUI for manual tracking. When i have a working script, i will happy that you test it. I think that i add after automatic tracking with Keir’s library.
If you’re hurried, test DGeeMe a freeware to make motion capture, or the kinemat toolbox for matlab.

Best regards

Po

Also mocapdata.com should be mentioned. Some real nice people with nice bvh files available for download.

Carnegie mellon has more and larger files, but at strange frame rates and they need a LOT more cleaning.

have you any good news about your script? :smiley:

Once this thing becomes freeware - we ought to get a more diverse and enriched selection of indie type of movies. Meanwhile there’s hope.

hey po good to see you. I know that keir has been hard at work on it as well as his doctorial thesis. So we will see in the next couple of months.

I have seen the site
DGeeMe is a video based motion capture and analysis software package. The software can be used for sports skill analysis and for real motion input to development of games
How many Video will I need, only once Handicam will do or more ?

can’t asnwer you since, alas, it’s another windows only soft.

Hi Daredemo, i 'm still working on it and for the moment i use numpy as a python library for matrix purpose. So, when it will work i release it and you need numpy to work with.
Hi ibkanat, i was too busy before, and i wait for Keir library, because for blender motion capture integration, i will need it for automatic traking.
Hi, Kkrawal, DeeGeMe can make 2D DLT so you can just use 1 cam, but it’s for movement on a plane. If you want 3D motion capture you must use 2 cam min.
Regards,

Po

What is numpy? and is it platform independent?

NumPy maybe?

http://numpy.scipy.org/

Would the kinemat toolbox work on Octave???
Octave being the free and opensource alternatice to matlab. Please please please, tell me :smiley:

daredemo, numpy is just a module that lets you work a lot more efficiently with ‘arrays’ of data.

Where normally you would for instance loop through an array and apply a function to each nr you find in that array, with numpy you just apply the function to the array… and no looping nessecary, it’s instantly applied to everything.

If you deal with really large chunks of data it can be a LOT more efficient than coding loops and stuff yourself.