Real time shadow?

how can i make a realtime shadows in my game,thet will work in the game engine without pressing on Game>GLSL metirials(because it doesnt work like this…)?:spin:
-Blooby

GLSL is THE only way to use proper dynamic Real time shadows…here is a tutorial on how to use/apply them

Link

/Radman

im doing the game by this tutorial and when im tring to see it in game engine -all i can see is blue screen,what to do?

You probably need an object / SPOT light.

1. Put a plane under the default cube.
  2. Make the light a spot light and point to towards the cube.
  3. Give both the cube and plane a material (same one or different ones).
  4. Select the Spot light.
  5. Under the light properties (little light bulb in Material settings), enable Shadow Buffer and set the buffer size to 512 (or higher, though I believe it must be a multiple of 16 higher, e.g. 512, 1024, 2048).
  6. Deselect and reselect the spot light.
  7. Make sure it’s Textured view.
  8. Play the game.
    That SHOULD work.

still not working…:frowning:

Of course enable GLSL. Does the console say anything?

I understand. I had the same problem.

1. Find out if your graphics card supports GLSL. If you’re using windows, check the terminal after you try to play your game. If any other OS (like mac or *nix) open blender using the terminal and do the same thing. Normally ** Blender will tell you immediately when you try to enable GLSL shaders.

2. This requires a SPOT lamp. The SPOT lamp needs to be set to BUFF shadow.

3. The objects need materials linked to them. Don’t know why, but sometimes the shadows won’t render without materials on your meshes.

–If you’ve tried this and it still doesn’t work, could you post any error messages written to the console on this thread?

If you cannot use GLSL, I’m sure you could find a way to fake it using parented objects and the RAY sensor. I’d kinda like to find an alternate way of doing realtime shadows because it takes up huge resources if I enable shadows from the GLSL menu.

If your graphics card does not support GLSL, then in a nutshell, add a plane, then in edit mode, drag the face up just a little. Now map a transparent halo-type thing on it (in photoshop, open a new transparent doc, set brush color to black, set brush hardness to 0, size to . . . enough to encompass the canvas, and click). Now select the face, in texture buttons, enable shadow. Now parent it to the desired object that “casts” the shadow.

no my graphic card does not support GLSL but i find a way to do it wiht pyton :stuck_out_tongue:

eels just told you an old trick that works fine. It’s not ideal, but without glsl, that’s what you are limited to. I seriously doubt that python will help with creating a real time shadow, but good luck all the same. Just mow some lawns and buy a new video card…