Realism versus Imagination what you preffer?

I like both about the same sometimes realism is good sometimes fantasy wierdness is good

hey there’s a real bowl of fruit!

All i can say to this is written once into my blog ->
http://dv-studios.org/eradicor/index.php?blog=2&title=how_to_make_masterpiece_art&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

yes i know. .typos… lots of typos. And please… Do read that blog entry. Its quite intresting… even if i made it myself. :slight_smile:

An image is more than the objects in it. A photograph is an image of reality, but if the photographer has created a good composition, and used interesting lighting, then the image is creative even if the objects in it are not ‘imaginary’, or even if they are quite ordinary.

Then the composition will display his mood, and I will certainly be saying “Good job”
Though personally I would rather see a unicorn in it.

that’s some nice spam you have there…

i like your theory. I think you could well expand upon it: eg how to make something believeable? followed by an overview of anatomy/proportion/art theory etc.

I must also point out that you appear to have omitted one of the defining characteristics of “art” (at least IMO) - it should have a reason for being; a point. If the piece “says something” then I think that’s both a qualifier for a masterpiece and a great starting point for creating a great image…

I think that;'s one of the reasons that “commercial renders” ie arch viz stuff, although initially breathtaking, are often forgettable. All they’re doing is showing you the interior of a building. by their very nature they must remain impartial in order to sell the product.

The same problem can plague hyper-unreal images - doodles if you like. I’m guilty of this - making/posting tests for various blender features, WIPs of female/male nudes, endless arrays made of particles and cubes. Don’t get me wrong - all these have their place (modelling the figure is essential practice, arrays are cool, and everyone knows the default cube can’t be beat) but very rarely do you see an image/render with a story.

Hmm…this post appears to be turning into a mini rant. apologies - I’ll have to come back to this later.

I mentioned Dylan Cole in an earlier post, but I strongly recommend people check out his site at http://www.dylancolestudio.com/ A lot of his work as a matte painter ends up being a combination of digital painting, photos of real sets (or miniature models of sets) and 3d renders to extend the set.

I’m a little off-topic here, but I think it’s a valid side point.
Practice and tests, while they may not make the audience drool (though sometimes just seeing a feature in action is astonishing,) are critical for developing quality art. The ones with a story are those projects that never get finished because the artist eventually crashed into the enormity of the task he was undertaking.

Sorry about the double post, I posted the last one before I could look at the Dylan Cole work.

Now that is an excellent example of quality weirdness

You might also want to check out dusso http://www.dusso.com/

It is not about realistic renderers it is about the main concept of realism and imagination and the lack of thinking of some people that use Realism for they`r lack of Imagination.

You mean like technique vs artistry?