Realistic Animation without Mocap?

(I can only post two links because I’m a new user so you might have to look up some of the animations)
Over the years I’ve always wanted to find someone who has keyframe animated humans with the level of raw body weight and mechanics that motion capture creates for me. The problem is that every time I think I’ve found someone who has the realistic style of animation I want, it turns out that they use motion capture instead of keyframe animation.

Here are some examples.
The first time I got really inspired by a person’s animation style was when I watched Podel’s Zuckerborg 2099

I especially love the crawling and dancing scenes because of the animation on the Mark Zuckerberg robot. Then I looked a little further and realized that he probably gets his animation from free motion capture websites. I didn’t want to believe it at first but after finding an exact replica of one of the animations he used on Mixamo I knew that all of his work had to be motion capture.

Over time I looked up different artists and eventually found a short film called “Freight”

I really liked the weight animated on the alien dude’s body, especially when stumbles around at the beginning. I thought that there would be a slight chance of it being keyframe animation but after I looked up the artist on Artstation it turned out to be motion capture.

After many more searches that turned out to be motion capture(Red vs Blue, Lander, Half-Life: Alyx, Red Dead Redemption, and Grand Theft Auto, Overkill Walking Dead trailers from Goodbye Kansas Studios) I finally found something very small that looks realistic and was definitely made with keyframe animation.

On Sir Wade Neighstadt’s Animation Reel Review(Video Title: Reviewing My 3D Animation Demo Reel). He has a character in the beginning act out some dialogue and shifts around in his chair in a realistic way that exudes the same type of interesting movement that I see in Freight and Zuckerborg 2099. The problem is that the rest of his stuff is in a cartoony style and the shot is only 5 seconds long.

This is why I wanted to ask you guys on the forums if you know any artists who mimick the look of motion capture to make animation that is NOT in the cartoon style to animate humans. I’ve been looking for a long time but every time I see an animation I like it just ends up being motion capture.

To clear up any misunderstanding, I’m not saying that motion capture is bad. I understand that people need to use it to save time. I love the look of motion capture because there is something about it that adds visual interest in the movement of the bones. I just really want to find an artist that doesn’t use it and gets the same look as the characters in the short films I was talking about.

Honorable Mentions:

The Witness from Love Death and Robots (Video Title: LOVE DEATH + ROBOTS | Inside the Animation: The Witness | Netflix)

I just figured out about the witness the other day from a discord server. It’s really great and keyframe animated according to the guy on discord. You should check it out if you have the same interests as me.

Ramone Arango(animal keyframe animation)(Video Title: King Under The Mountain)

This dragon animation has absolutely stunning body mechanics and is keyframed obviously because there is no motion capture but the problem is that it ain’t a human lol.

Is easy to mimic mocap animation, however you need to study existing motion. Either load them as mp4 videos and match the movement, or see the BVH animations loaded inside Blender.

As for example you can see lots of important details that way to make better animation, rather instead if you approached it intuitively you would miss them.

Thanks for your reply, have you ever tried this method or know of anyone who has before? Just curious to see if I can see the work.

I think the most mentioned advice for animators (drawing, putty modeling, stop motion and digital) is look to (original) references, look into the mirror, make videos of yourself doing the things. If i remember correctly the first thing the cgi crew of Planet of the Apes did, was just act as an monkey and film it on video. So i think there is not a single animator to find, it’s “just” observation and experience.

I have traced motion over mp4 videos a lot of times. It’s really easy, actually, just placing the object on the right position and rotation.

However since the track is 2D it means that I will have to delete the “depth” animation channel and then try to imagine the correct depth intuitively (I do some improv here).

I might have watched some videos as well, but I am not sure I can remember one.

Say for example one comes into my mind is some videos from “Cosmos Laundromat” movie. Though a timelapse, I don’t know if it’s helpful for you, but at least you can see the final point, you just need to match the motion exactly as shown in the frame. Then the magic happens automatically once the animation starts playing (animation = position+time).

Also this technique is helpful. You will have to create first the rough draft. And then refine it iteratively.

Wow, that’s pretty cool. I didn’t know cosmos laundromat had its animation documented.

There was also another cool video from “Cosmos Laundromat” where a dude was trying to light a cigar, then looking at his watch, etc. If you can find it, it will be also another one cool example to see. Basically the idea is to record yourself doing some actions and then try to create an animation. :beer: :beer: :beer: :slight_smile:

Only one thing bothers me though, the cassette animation is about 30 minutes in timelapse (might be (60 minutes or 120 minutes in real time). Which is something very important to note in terms of how much time can it take. More or less you would be able to extrapolate with this ratio and estimate how much time you would need depending on how many minutes you need to animate in full detail.

I saw a great tip a bit ago that I’ve been hunting for the past 20 minutes to no avail. Basically it was that you should pay extra close attention to your curves. Real motion in your neck is the result of bundles of thousands of muscle fibers all fighting to keep your stupid big ass 11 pound head upright at all times. That’s pretty much true of the rest of your body. Rotational axii do not act in complete concert coordination. Curves should be offset and a little noisy.

2d animation is great to study too, since their method of breaking down movement curves is a lot more intuitive than in 3d imo. I think it warrants special attention. I highly recommend studying the work of hiroyuki okiura. Specifically, the movie A Letter To Momo. Pay close attention to how he divvies up his spacing.

Thanks for the tip, I’ll be sure to check it out.