Realistic Cotton Material

Hi all,
I started using Blender some months ago and i am very Happy About this huge Community. I was looking for a way to get a realistic Render of Cotton objects Like this one:

Is it possible to get this realism without displacement? Because displacement for Cotton would need a huge highpoly model i guess. My trys with using only textures Looks Not good on Close Up shots.
I would be very Happy when i know how to handle cloth Materials generally.

Thank you

2 Likes

Check out this (free) procedural shader created by simon thommes!

2 Likes

You can use Adaptive Subdivison along with displacement. This way you can keep your original polygon count and enable displacement only when close-up. Here’s a quick render.

2 Likes

you might just need to use microdisplacment

1 Like

Thank you all for your replys!
I think i try the Workflow of @ibotpl first because i allways want to understand the Base modeling and shading techniques before i use external shaders :slight_smile:
But after that i will try all to find my best Workflow and show you the results.

@ibotpl i would be very Happy when you can send ne your blend File or the textures you used because i want to reproduce your quick render.

1 Like

Am i right that the difference between displacement and microdisplacement ist the Polygon amount?

1 Like

yes
displacement need a huge amount of physical polygon ,
the more ther is polygon, the more details youll have

micro-displacement however dose not need physical polygon , and only whene needed

however the micro-displacement has some downers ,
like partical system dosnt work with the micro-displacement surface, it ignore it like its not even there .

1 Like

Here’s the .blend file (version 2.8):
cotton.blend (1.3 MB)

2 Likes

Thank you! Ich will respond with my results :slight_smile:

From which material are female sports shorts and cuffless t-shirts you know for athletic women and for those women who are playing basketball in real-life? With which material Disney’s princesses got rendered her dresses in Pixar’s Ralph Breaks the Internet? With which material sports clothes could be Lola Bunny,Lori Jackrabbit and Tiara the Manx if these characters might be rendered as well?