Realistic Female Character (Nudity)

Hello there. My first post :slight_smile:
I have been playing in blender for a year or 2 now, and have decided to try out some more serious attempts to make a good looking model. This is where you guys get in the picture ( don’t worry, not the final picture :stuck_out_tongue: ). I need some feedback on the model. It is almost done, but i would like some comments and critics on the proportions of the model.
The only thing i need to give my model, is some more detailed feet, but what do you think so far ?

Attachments

Shes pretty masculine, but thats ok for a change. But still little wider hips and a little more narrow neck would not hurt.

I have corrected the neck a little, and tweaked her hips also.
And now she has feet :slight_smile:
Would like some comments on her proportions and the topology. Would really appreciate it.

Not that I can do any better than you have, as I am new to this, but the lower legs look out of proportion to me. Side view shows shin area seems to thick and to short. Otherwise looks good to me.

I’d have to agree, her lower legs are too big. This area is narrower at the front as there aren’t a lot of large muscles in this area (compared to the back of the legs where you find the calf muscles).

Her breasts also look just a touch fake as they’re a bit too spherical. It’s more obvious from the side view. Flattenin the top of the breasts so they follow the plane of the chest would probably help with this.

I just bought a book called sculpting realistic game characters. It’s a zbrush book but it covers a lot of human anatomy so it applys here if your goal is realism. Do you know about the 8 heads guideline? Every body varies but the head is your base unit of measurement. The total height is about 8 heads. The center line is where the pubic bone goes. Just above the bottom quarterline is the knee. The top quarter line is the nipple. These are good starting points for proportions. And there are several more for different parts of the body. It all relates to the size of the head. It’s important to get the placement and size of certain bony areas correct then build the rest of the features based on that. I’m just a beginner too and I’m not that good. I’m just passing on expert information from a book written by a real pro. I recommend the book too even if you don’t have zbrush because a lot of it can be translated to Blender’s sculpting tools.

You’ve got as really nice start here but your proportions are a bit off. I’m not exactly Da Vinci myself so please just take this as one person trying to help out another. I’m not trying to be mean.

THe eight head figure is pretty much a standard rule. You’re pretty close to that but when it comes to proportions even being a tiny bit off can make a big difference.

Generally women have longer thinner necks than men. Your shoulders may also be a bit to wide as well but it’s hard for me to say. The pose may be throwing me off.

The knees should be halfway between the top and the bottom of the legs. They’re a little low.

Her calves are a little thick…

There’s also something funny with arm pit area but I can’t quite place what… The breasts attach to the pectoral muscles which then go right up into the shoulder muscles. From the front view it looks kind of like they attach to the lat muscles of the back somehow… You may need to add more polys. She’s got a little bit of a blow up doll feel to her. She needs more detail.

Depending on what type of female figure you’re going for I could also make a few other suggestions. Larger eyes and exaggerate the thinness of the waist and widen the hips if you’re going for more of a pin up or cartoon female.

I would also indicate the bottom of the ribcage regardless of what type of figure you’re doing.

Check out this guy’s tutorial:

While he’s not using Blender the information is still useful. He turns out an amazing model at the end.

Hope that helped some…

I’d like to thank you alot for the tips. I have made much tweaking like cleaning up the edgeloops and make the flow more smooth etc… I have furthermore made her shoulders less wide, and tried to get some definitions to some of the muscles on the legs. I have also made her breasts smaller and much better looking imo. i have made her legs longer and raised the knees. Also made her pose from T to A.
And then i have twisted her arms a bit because her hands have the palms downwards. Is that even a good idea when thinking she is gonna get rigged and animated ?

I think it already looks pretty ok, but your head still needs needs a lot of work to be recognizable as a female’s. If you’d ask me it’d be best to treat the head and body separately for now, because you’ll primarily have to focus yourselves on the details now and from my experience it’s easier to do so while not being distracted by the rest of the mesh, heck not even by topology, you can always reload a previously made mesh and shrinkwrap it onto your new head/bodypart.
While the head is pretty hard to correct without a closeup, you body still has the following problems:
your feet are looking weird, take a look at a reference:
SIDE
Your hands need to have more volume to them (google hand references for that) and you can’t rotate your hand … instead you use your forearm for turning the hand… that’s why currently it looks weird. The idea of pointing downwards with the palms is good, however if you are an experienced rigger I’d actually stick with the T pose. an A pose is more for game characters who use limited armatures. Even professional riggers/animators will have problems when trying to make an A-pose-character stretch his arms upwards. However, obviously an A-pose character is the choice if you’re new to rigging because then you may actually do some errors and some badly placed bones and still get a decent walkcycle (or similar)
For a woman your arms are far too edgy , the general philosophy behind the human body is that everything flows into each other. So I suggest you either smoothen out the forearm or add some more edgeloops and grow up her biceps.
That’s all for now xD I hope it helps.

So this school stuff is annoying me because it takes my time from blending :frowning: … However, i got vacation from school now, only a couple of english exams, and i thought i could practice in here by describing how my model is advancing :smiley:

Soo … the hands … Lots of tutorials on the web, where very many of them used n-gons … Since i intend to animate her, i want pure quads, so i improvised, and i think the result is pretty nice :slight_smile:

Also had time to improve her feet :slight_smile:

And lastly a full view of her.

Attachments

For your hands and feet, I think you’ve got some nice looking topology, you’r loops and edge flows are great. There’s one major problem: your proportions are all off. Take a look at the pinky finger in comparison with the others - it’s very skinny and short, and doesn’t seem to match the proportions of the rest of the hand. Also, all of your fingers and toes are very square. You’ve got a great start here, but there is still a mountain of shaping and tweaking to do.

One thing about the torso as well - a woman’s chest should be narrower than her hips. Are you modeling from a reference? If not, you should find one to help guide your shapes.

So i think the modeling is getting towards the end. Ofcourse there is still lots of things i could tweak. However have i started the proces of giving her some nice colors.

This is just the first test render. I haven’t done anything like texturing or anything. It is simply a three layered SSS.
I know that she is looking kinda pale, but i kinda like that. I will try to give her skin some different nuances different places, like more red on her cheeks, nose, palms etc. I also intend to give her some tiny wrinkles on the lips and such places, and i will also give her skin some bump maps. I am almost completely new in texturing, so any tips is very appreciated.

EDIT: Just noticed that the colours are looking different on different monitors, so she is looking very pale on one of my monitors (my labtop), and is having a very nice healthy skin tone on my secondary monitor…

Something doesn’t make sense to me … I have created 2 UV-layers. One for the head, and for the body. I have then created 2 materials that is assigned to the head, and to the body. Each material has then been given a texture that is mapped to the two different layers. However, only one of the UV-layers can be active at a time. That means, if i select one of the UV-layers, the texture in the viewport changes to that layer, and i can’t see the texture mapped to the other UV-layer.
I hope it makes sense :S

Okay … I just mapped all the UVs in 1 picture … Didn’t want to try and separate the face UV from the rest, so all UVs are now together. I am going to do some sculpting details now. :slight_smile: … First time sculpting :stuck_out_tongue: