Realistic Glass in Eevee

Aw man, amazing, cheers!

Thanks Eric, much appreciated. Iā€™ll add it to the Gumroad files.

Do you think itĀ“s possible to create a physical crystal lens in front of the camera in EEVEE? your shader looks good, IĀ“d like to try it for a scenario like I mention.

DavidRivera,

This is product shot of a camera in Eevee that I have being working on. I used the shader above for the camera lens. See below my render.

1 Like

Excellent tips here. Iā€™ll be testing some of these settings out in a new animation soon. Keep up the great work.

Hi Eric :slight_smile:
It would be really helpful if you please share the scene file that youā€™ve shown on the images.
Thanks!

Can you please give me a link from where I can learn how to bake :slight_smile: ?
Thanks!

Hi Eric,
Thanks for your awesome tutorial :slight_smile:

I tried several times to follow along with your tutorial and achieved nearly the same result but except for 1 problem.

In my case - though other objects are refracted and visible through the transparent glasses, the glass objects behind glass objects are not being shown.

Please help me with this.

Thanks again for your awesome tutorial.

Sobhan,

This is a Eevee limitation at this time that a refracted object behind a refracted object would not be visible. See image from Definitive Interiors course with my realistic glass shader from @chippwalters.:

The glass in front is using refraction. The glass behind on the left is using refraction and notice that it is partially occluded because of the Eevee limitation that refracted objects behind an refracted object are not visible. Now look at the glass behind on the right it is using transparency instead of refraction and it is not occluded, and still looks good.

To allow object behind a refracted object to be visible using my realistic glass shader replace the glass BSDF node with a transparent BSDF node. You will loose refraction and gain transparency for the object behind and still get really nice reflection. Remember that getting good reflection is the key to having great looking glass.

Depending on your scene having glass with transparency instead of refraction may be more important for objects behind as long as your getting good reflection. Most of the time I use refraction for objects behind, but other cases transparency for the objects behind works best like in the scene above.

Look at my previous post in this thread and you will find plenty sample scenes I have posted. Except for the Chocofur and Evermotion scenes. This ones you will find tips and techniques in how I converted to Eevee in my thread on Eevee ArchViz see link Realistic ArchViz.

2 Likes

Canā€™t even describe how thankful I am for your most kind reply :heart:
Thanks a billion :heart: :heart: :heart:

You are welcome.

1 Like

Hi guys, awesome shader, but I cannot get it working in my rendered image.

Here is the viewport render

And here is the result when I click render

What am I doing wrong?

1 Like

Looks fantastic!

Nitram_2000,

Is probably a simple setting you are missing. Best if you can share the file.

I got it working, but it was one of two things. It couldā€™ve been that the alpha settings were wrong, but, Iā€™m more sure that my file was corrupt. I went back a few saves and then reimported the shaders and it worked off the bat.

I was having other problems with the file too, so Iā€™m pretty sure it was a 2.81 problem.

@eklein, do you know how the alpha works in all of this? I want to work in layers so I can use the alpha to create a small outline around my objects, but in the compositor there is nothing there, yet when I alpha over a background the glass foreground shows up.

Iā€™ll set up a test blend to upload.

Glass_Test.blend (814.0 KB)

1 Like

Nitram_2000,

I notice that you are using the ā€œcwGlassā€ shader for glass. This is not my realistic glass shader look for ā€œekRealisticā€ or manually build this shader with my previous node setup for realistic glass given previously.

The reason why ā€œcwGlassā€ shader wonā€™t work with alpha layers is that it uses transparent nodes. My realistic glass shader does not and it should work fine.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this helped me :smiley:

1 Like

Worked like a charm! Thanks! :wine_glass:

@eklein New EEVEE Glass Shader from Jonathan Lampel:
https://twitter.com/JonLampel/status/1286406954454118400?s=20

I really like it.

Scene file above: https://filedn.com/lLMW4jXsJqxXkRYjd1UCoKL/3d/JL%20and%20EK%20glass_02.blend

5 Likes