Realistic Renders Tutorials are anything but

After a while you develop a mental filter to
to spare you wasting your time on YT video Click bait hyperbole.

“Blender Just Changed Animation Forever!!”

Typically means: “Hey guys the Blender foundation just announced some new oscillation filters in the graph editor coming in 2025…But first… This video was sponsored by Skillshare!!!..……

4 Likes

Let me play the devils advocate and say that I think this issue you are pointing at is for the most part a semantic issue.

I think what many people mean when they say “realistic” stands in contrast to “unrealistic” pointing at the spectrum that exists between completely unrealistic (abstract?), goes through NPR/stylized/ and up to cinematic photo-realism or actual realism (what our eyes see).

I think what people often mean is that the subject they describe leans more towards one end of the spectrum and not the other end.
The word is (unfortunately) used rather informally and loose.

The other smaller part of the issue is related to deliberate or accidental dishonesty, lack of competency, hyperbolic marketing, click-bait etc.

2 Likes

Hmm, I think I know the thumbnail that even refers too and just totally skipped it, expecting nothing more then a basic re-hash of the Animation 2025 project based on the blob post(s) and the conference video.

And yet, if its the one I think it is, with I bet an AI generated thumbnail, it has 420K views…

Now I can assure everyone you won’t see a ‘realistic’ title in any of my videos, since to start with, that’s not what I’m going for and second, its really really hard to do (outside of just buying a bunch of very high quality assets and even then putting it all together, with proper lighting, etc still mostly isn’t easy for true realism).

I try to avoid click-bait titles as much as possible, which no doubt somewhat explains my low sub/view numbers, O and @Okidoki you missed one:

• The Ultimate…

Still, at the end of the day the real problem is no different then it’s always been. Be it a book, a school/uni course, a tutor or a youtube video, before you can learn anything, you first have to determine if the source of the lesson actually has anything of value to be worthy of ones time.

2 Likes