Realistic Solar System?

Is it possible to m o d el a realistic solar system, with realistic resolution?

Like this: perhaps create several spheres> Accurately the topography of each >Somehow do atmospher effect.

So you could import spaceship m o d e ls and have a realistic zoom in effect from space to a room in a building or something?

Thanks, LC

PS: I have to space them out like that so my internet filter won’t delete the word.

You would be pretty diappointed from a realistic solar system. The distances and visibilities are such, that you probably can’t see more than one planet at once, or the others as mere dots. The velocity of the camera would have to be enormous.

So to visualise a “Zoom In” effect you would have to make deliberate choises of not being physically correct.

Shots like this are simulated by combining textures with multiple models at different scales. You’re talking about covering over 8 orders of magnitude in 3 dimensions (Earth at 13 million meters diameter, room < 1 meter scale).
Blender is limited to 10000 units on any axis, I believe. It would be hard enough to do such a continuous tracking shot from the exterior of a large spaceship with a convincing amount of modeled detail, all the way to a room inside, with a single model.

Well let’s see, you would need some tricks, for a decent earth you would need a mighty small spaceship and a massive sun. Not to mention the solar system would be so huge it’s impractical.

if your looking to make a nice space render, its possible with certain tricks… just not on a realistic scale…
Like that of orbiter( http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html ).

What everyone has tryed to say is more simply said “no.” I am sorry for saying this, but it is not even possible to realistically model the earth or anything even the size of the moon. What is done with blender is create art. But, in asking for realism on anything very large blender is not really meant to do it.

Imagine if you will that the Sun can hold several thousand earths. And there are approx 93 million miles between the sun and the earth. While earth is as someone else said only approximately 13 million meters in diameter. 1000 meters is .6 miles approx. So earth is only 8000 miles in diamter approx. So that means there is about room for 12000(approx) earths between where the sun is and where the earth is. 93000000 / 8000 = 11625 but this is not accurate since I used approximations all the way arround. What this all means is if you modled the sun as even 16 bu in size you could not put in 1 bu for the earth(which would not be realistic in scale sun v. earth) and have them in the correct possition.

Now if you are not looking for visual models there are tools that you can use but they require a very high learning curve. They are normally used for and themselves use calculas.

if you really want to see solar system
download Celestia softw

this is especially made to see our solar system
or to create artificial solar system

Salutations

in all reality, it isn’t impossible. it’s true, I am really new to Blender, but I have scaled out the diameters of the planets, but the distance from one planet to the other is impossible because of the limit to the scene, but if you take it and and scale that down, and down size it so pluto’s revolution can fit, then you can get the solar system to fit in the plane… but the only thing I can’t figure out is the lighting… on how to get each planet to only show the side that the sun is on, and how to make the camera do all the tricks for it, other than that I have the demensions for an almost perfect solar system… the inner planets aren’t that big, but the demensions are correct…
if you want I will put the demensions or a small tutorial on how to make the planets to my demensions, which are just scaled down…

as a remark to my post, I don’t know about the zooming in to the building thing, not quite that advanced yet…
but I have the solar system demensions, which are pretty accurate, and there not all dots, well, pluto kinda is, but if you wanted the zoom effect, I’m sure you can, earth would rotate about 1500 frames for a year, which is 60 seconds, which would make pluto take, oh around 25 hours to rotate around the sun one time…
but I have the demensions. sorry if it doesn’t help, like I said, I’m new to this and am still pretty much on the basice…

if you want to create a proportional model you could use an orthographic camera (providing that all the planets are in a line) to allow all the planets to be seen clearly

It’s a bit pointless - if you place the sun on the utter left of your screen and the earth on the utter right, Earth would be so small that it’d only take up 1 / 680.000th of a pixel on a 1600x1200 resolution monitor. If you’re zoomed in far enough to have your focus planet take up a pixel, the others are all way outside of the screen.