Really confused about the best way to use denoising and keep details?

Hi All,
As the title suggests, i’m really struggling with the best approach to denoise.
My work involves creating visuals of trade show booths, which often have many different surfaces, such as wood, carpet, neon etc.
I created a very simple example scene to show this.
I have a GTX 2070 super and have it set to CUDA and typically render at a 1000 samples.

So my questions are what the best denoiser to use for these situations?
Is there anything in the scene setup that I’m doing wrong ( render setting etc)?
If i’m to use optix denoiser, should I select Optix in the preferences or is this done automatically?

Usually the carpet and wood shaders loose all there detail and look quite blurred, but of course when I rendered out the attached images to show this the missing detail, they turned out not too bad lol.
Still I feel like I’m just clicking button with no real knowledge.

Any help or advice would be great.

Cheers
A

Link to the scene file below
http://mbf.me/wt3DrR

Hey I used to work heavily in the tradeshow world as well. Things to consider, what’s the resolution of your textures?
Using an HDRI will help your renders tremendously. Consider adding closeup shots to emphasize materials and textures.
Since you are doing stills, consider rendering at 4K and if you have to resize in post to 1080 your renders will look a bit more sharp, although they should be pretty crispy at 4k.

I used to do my designs using SketchUp pro and Vray but the principle stays the same.

Good Ideas here, I’ll definitely try rendering at 4k too.
I’m using sketchup into blender for scale.
Never really had much look with HDRI for interiors, very thing always looks a bit to washed out for me, but then again I’m not sure of the best way to set them up for this subject?
If you have any examples/settings you wouldn’t mind showing, that would be great
Cheers for your help
A

1 Like

Hi.
If OptiX is available, then “Automatic” is OptiX.

OIDN (open image denoise) can preserve details better than OptiX. You see here the explanation of the available options:
https://developer.blender.org/D12140

Albedo and Normal passes is the default option for final render.

1 Like

Thanks very much, I’ll optix in the future and hopefully ODIN when 3.0 releases
Cheers
A

1 Like

Sure if I can scrounge up one of my old tradeshow projects I’ll share a few screencaps with you as far as setup and execution goes.

I usually use an interior hdri, years ago I actually found one that was a tradeshow floor and used it since then to help light up my scenes, I believe it was a purchase though.

At the end of the day the look you’re after also plays into your settings. I usually try to make my stuff look as real as I’m able to compromise for for my clients.

But sometimes you need quick results, I know how the tradeshow biz can be for this stuff.

Use Blender 3.0 It has an updated version of OIDN. OIDN at the moment is much better looking than optix denoising.

The images you posted don’t scream “this can only be done in cycles”. Consider learning Eevee for simpler scenes and then noise isn’t an issue at all.

Sometimes you need more than 1000 samples for some materials. I have experienced bump maps that don’t have an effect below 512 samples, look good at 1024 samples, and look very very different (sometimes good, sometimes bad) at 3,000 samples. If you are using adaptive sampling, sometimes you need to set a high minimal sample value so problematic materials always have enough samples to succeed. I have also experienced HDRIs that give horrible problems in some areas for no apparent reason, and denoising makes those problems MUCH WORSE for no apprent reason. The only thing that fixed it was to increase the samples, except for the times when increasing light bounces fixed it.

1 Like