Really struggling to import .dae file - Related to size/complexity of file?

G’day everyone,

I’m a long-time lurker and first-time poster, and I really hope you can help! I’ve spent the last 3-4 weeks making a detailed model in Sketchup, which I’d now like to be able to convert from the exported .dae file into a .3ds file for use in another program. When I go to import > Collada in Blender and hit ‘Import’, Blender freezes. I’ve tried it several times and had the same result each time. I’m using Blender 2.65 with python 3.3.

One thing to note, the .dae file is around 160Mb…I’m not sure if this is really big/average/small as I’ve never had to use this format before. For what it’s worth, I’m using a Dell Precision T3500 with Quad Core Xeon processors, a Nvidia Quadro FX1800 GPU and 12Gb DDR3 memory.

Any help here would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

I just reported a bug in the Collada importer. I experienced a hang on import as well. If you have other software try that. For instance, Poser will read a DAE file. Also just to test the file you can try Houdini Apprentice. The Collada file that hangs Blender, in my case, was readable by Houdini.

.3DS is not really worth exporting to anymore. It is a very, very old format with limited geometry and material support. Try exporting at least to .OBJ if you can.

Thanks for the input, it’s appreciated! I tried importing some much smaller .dae files (~6Mb) and it worked to some extent, although the model was ‘wireframe’ and had lost all its faces for some reason…

I’ll give those other programs you mentioned a go. I’m using Dialux Evo, Relux Pro and Ecotect Analysis, which all use either the .3ds, .dwg or .dxf format for importing. I’ve used the AutoDesk FBX converter to go from .dae to .fbx, then from .fbx to .dxf, but again, I lose the faces of the models and everything is wireframe.

If nothing else works, I may have to install a trial version of Sketchup Pro and export it directly from there as a .3ds or .dwg or something. I’ll let you know how I go.