Realtime Blender Wish List

What features do you want most for Blender?
For me it’s:

-BSP tree, portal culling (that would give a HUGE performance increase)
-Dynamic light’s (casting shadow maps 360 degree’s, it’s precalculated
so there would be 0% slowdown)
-Mirrors
-Some kind of entity/object system (Saluk’s doing this with his level editor I believe)

For these features I think the engine would need to be rewritten…

Mirrors are available in 2.25.

I’d really like a kind of copy function in the realtime windows that would be able to copy one logic brick within the same object and make duplicates of logicbricks withing the same object, so i wouldn’t have to keep clicking add, then change to property…

Pooba

How about shaping the dynamic circle?
How about a higher vertex limit before the game starts slowing down?
those would be great.

How about a higher vertex limit before the game starts slowing down?

Yeah BSB tree culling system, so only what can be seen is rendered instead of rendering the whole level every frame.

225 doesn’t have mirrors crazy.

well,AS i said before, saving and loading options to save the progress of games like RPGS. :smiley: and i agree with Joe,when you add some objects on the scene,the game start slowing too quick…they need to fix that. :smiley:

what i want…

-take away ESC to quit game
-make other way to quit game
-change resolution in game
-play video/mp3 in game
-save/load game
-multiplayer over internet/LAN
-split screen game(without all that confusing python and scene stuff)
-anyone try to use over 20 sounds in a game? fix the databrowse bug.
-faster game speed

well… thats about it.

why the hell bother with 20 sounds when you can’t even play the same one twice! when you attach a blow up sound to a rocket and shoot multiple times the sound just stops except for the last rocket fired. that bug was so bad i stopped making games all together.

and what all of u have forgotten…A BETTER COLLISIONS DETECTION SYSTEM.
I hate blenders collisions sphere and often in games the object goes through walls.

the collision spheres going through walls is likely if you have an object that moves really fast, with too low a frame rate…, or you are setting dLoc in you motion actuators rather than linV, or Force

… I want…

a way to easly determine (in python) the rotational speed of an object…

polygon determined colision boxes (even if they have to be convex)

use of directX audio in windows…, maybe arts in linux…
MIDI support (even if it must be done in software. TiMidity??, directX)

I believe that in publisher esc is just another key, (maybe that is just in exe files…?)

A way to load objects after the game has been started…, without loosing what currently has been loaded (think in half life loading the level while inside of the elevator, without changing the player’s location, or anything), and a way to unload as well…

custom static shadow maps casted from dynamic lights???
maybe later

was the BSB culling… blender uses back face culling… do you want it also to have like clipping paynes (forget the other name) at the window edges as well? doesn’t opengl do that by default??

lost…

The collision problem is the worst sometimes when two actors with collision detection collide they go flying off…

So Realtime Blender is a mess… hopefully when Blender goes opensource they will decide to keep it going (but rewrite the engine)

custom static shadow maps casted from dynamic lights???
maybe later

All modern engines have shadow maps and Blender must too!

was the BSB culling… blender uses back face culling… do you want it also to have like clipping paynes (forget the other name) at the window edges as well? doesn’t opengl do that by default??

lost…

I’m not sure but, I dont think it has any…maybe back face culling??

Back-face culling does eliminate some unnecesary polygon renderings, but it happens at render time I believe, so it can slow things down. BSP trees are calculated when a level is “built” and they dictate to the renderer the most efficient order in which to draw everything. Most first person shooter engines use BSP trees, but they are hard to work with and do add a “build” time to level creation. You cant just press play and see it, you have to wait for it to sort the polygons into the tree. It would be a nice option to have though, but it might be hard to code in as it is a whole different way of doing things, and I’m not sure but I think it also limits what kinds of polygons you can use in the level as well.

Back-face culling does eliminate some unnecesary polygon renderings, but it happens at render time I believe, so it can slow things down. BSP trees are calculated when a level is “built” and they dictate to the renderer the most efficient order in which to draw everything. Most first person shooter engines use BSP trees, but they are hard to work with and do add a “build” time to level creation. You cant just press play and see it, you have to wait for it to sort the polygons into the tree. It would be a nice option to have though, but it might be hard to code in as it is a whole different way of doing things, and I’m not sure but I think it also limits what kinds of polygons you can use in the level as well.

Thats true, to use BSB culling there would be a rather long “compiling”
of the level. I’m not sure if it has limits as to what types of polygons it can use though…

ah! and i forgot! it’s annoying when you place keys and items all over a scene,collect them,they disappear… then you go to another scene and when you return to the previous scene the keys and all object are there again!it would be great if they could fix that so you decide which objects should “re-apppear” LOL in the scene.and AS klein said,better collision detection. :smiley:

Just 3 things:

Speed, speeed and speeeed.

Rob

Realtime texture mapping(think blood spots and spray logos on halflife).

Network support for multiplayer games would be lovely!

Network support, saving, and world management are all possible with python:)

But kind of hard for me to do:)

Im getting there though, I should have it all in a month or so. Then again, I could be wrong and it could take me another year!

Cluh: “Mirrors” i assume is realtime reflection mapping… 2.25 has this.

2.25 also supports mp3 formats and some others (at least i’ve heard it does)

In publisher you can set esc to be another key.

Yes, better collision detection would be GREAT. I really need the polygon based collision boxes too.

Pooba