I have started doing lighting in Blender and I’m finding it painful. The whole thing is not very responsive and if I use Viewport Shading, which I pretty much must, to see any lighting changes, Blender comes down to its knees. I’m using Cycles.
Just using Viewport Shading at all, slows the whole UI down. Basically here are the problems I’m having:
- With Viewport Shading ON, I can’t click on things one after the other. I click off a light, and it will take several seconds to update and show the light as off, so I can click on the next thing. Sometimes it will crash if I try to click too fast when Viewport Shading is ON. Actually with Viewport Shading ON the whole UI slows down.
- So Viewport Shading is troublesome, as if I try to move it around, it goes all pixelated and once you take the hands off the mouse, it takes several seconds to update the view. I’m not sure if it is supposed to be this way. But then it can’t be used to judge minute and small light adjustments.
- If I hit F12 for a frame render it gets stuck for several seconds on 96-99%. I timed it to 40 secs. For a project. And during this time the CPU is maxed out at 100%! GPU is at 4%.
- Takes ages to do anything. If I hit F12 and then hit cancel it takes ages to cancel. If I hit bake and then cancel, it takes ages and most times it will freeze. So I must force quit Blender.
I thought it could be my hardware. But it seems to be in between the Recommended and the Optimal requirements for Blender.
- 64-bit quad core CPU
- 16 GB RAM
- Full HD display
- Three button mouse or pen+tablet
- Graphics card with 4 GB RAM
- 64-bit eight core CPU
- 32 GB RAM
- Full HD displays
- Three button mouse and pen+tablet
- Graphics card with +12 GB RAM
Intel i5-8400 2.80Ghz
Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070 Super
I have set it to use GPU in the Cycles render tab as well as in Preferences under CUDA. There only the GPU is checked. Not the CPU. But yet when rendering frames (F12) or baking lighting, the CPU spikes to 100%!
So is it supposed to be like this? Or despite my system being above the recommended it is still not fast enough?
Or am I overlooking some setting?
Is F12 render and baking supposed to use the CPU even when GPU is specified?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!