RealTime Shadow Discussion

Hi

RealTime shadow Discussion , would be here :smiley:

Questions

how to set the shadow resoltion ?

to make a custom shape other than a circle ?

to make a projected light , i mean an under water texture that reflects on a surface
and how can it be an avi ?

to make the shadow opacity change with the alpha channel of the object that blocks it ?

to fake halo , not a cone , a type that would end when it hits an object ?

to change the shdow color … ?

do you have any questions ?

:smiley:

I have my players car with a spotlamp parented to it for a frugal shadow only under my car. How do I keep the light from rotating with the car? When I wreak it casts a shadow on walls sometimes. I want it always pointing in 1 direction like in sunlight. Thanks for a solution for this.

try vertex parenting

The child duplicates rotations as well, though, which can sometimes be undesired. When the child should only mimic movements, but not rotations, vertex parenting is the best solution.

http://www.blendenzo.com/tutVertexParenting.html

I shall try this tonight. Thank you.

Hi 3DGURU,

how to set the shadow resoltion ? Change it on the settings, where it says “ShadowBufferSize”

to make a custom shape other than a circle ? Use a different mesh :stuck_out_tongue: it just cast the mesh you’re pointing to.

to make a projected light , i mean an under water texture that reflects on a surface
and how can it be an avi ? Hmm, I think it’s not possible, BGE doesn’t support AVI but maybe ashid’s plugin does… Be more clear, you mean the light trought thing you see underwater at the underwater floor? That looks like a moving grid? That can be made with multitextures, realtime reflection’s not supported.

to make the shadow opacity change with the alpha channel of the object that blocks it ? Haven’t been able to do it, maybe it can be made…

to fake halo , not a cone , a type that would end when it hits an object ? What do you mean? What does it have to do with shadows?

to change the shdow color … ? Tried, can’t do it.

My questions/suggestions for the developers:

Make soft shadows available, you could just blur the texture. And make it abailable to be proportional to the distance to the object/camera for the most powerful computers.

What is the classic - irregular settings?

I’d like settings to change immediately, not after I edit a mesh or object or lamp’s intensity.

Maybe antialias, as it’s not vector with AA enabled on the videocard if you get close the alias may be visible.

Make it abailable on other lamps! Like on normal lamps for all directions,

Make it possible for certain objects to disable/enable shadow casting without enabling clip alpha/ZTransp, maybe by disabling ShadBuf.

b3d00 answered most of the questions, and the ones he didn’t are pretty much just “wait until the devs code it”

for stuff like halo (I assume you’re talking about the spotlight setting) I believe you need volumetrics- and that’s the sort of thing you find in a modern game like crysis or far-cry 2, not the BGE, which is still more than a few years behind (it’s strengths are not through capability, but rather simplicity and not costing $$$)

I’m pretty sure for shadows to be cast by any other lamp type you need to use stencil shadows, which is an entirely different system from shadow buffers (raster vs vector, I’m sure I you don’t need me to go into all that). I’m not a coder, so I don’t know how much work it would take to implement all that, but I’m guessing it would be a lot, as well as being harder on the hardware (think stencil shadows are more resource-expensive than buffers, though I could be wrong)

keep in mind everything I know is found through random internet reading or experiments I’ve run, so I could be WAAAAY off-base.

We have a new Orientation constraint! we do not need to use the Vertex parent anymore to keep things from rolling!!
I am so happy!!!
The constraint allows you to constrain 1-6 direction!
Thank you Ben!

LOL, it was there before 2.47 came out

Edit, I took that totally wrong. sorry.