Reasonable texture sizes?

Hi people. I was wondering what are the texture sizes for a game like crysis or any other modern game with good graphics. How much can a mid-range card handle (in terms of size and quantity)? My style of game is an Adventure game (syberia, the longuest journey), so everytime you change rooms there could be a new small loading time for texture changing. Would this let me use bigger textures in my different rooms?- And for this style which has few characters in scene and can load between rooms - Would a normal map of 4096x4096 for the character and background be too much?.

Thank you.

For blender reasonable is 1024x1024 max. Imagine 1000 object in the scene with 4096x4096 there is no card to handle that size of memory usage. Also image format is very important…for blender .tga is the right choice.

haidme why *.tga? is there something wrong with jpg?

TGA has a lossless compression (PNG, too). In JPG you get compression artefacts.
Later in the GE the texture is uncompressed in the VRAM (video RAM) of your graphics card.
There is a possibility in 3D realtime to store the textures with DXT (directX) compression in the VRAM. Don’t know if blender is using them - don’t think so. I think blender can read DDS, but can’t use the compression of it in VRAM.

Conz3D: that is correct. All textures are converted to Blender Textures in memory.

ok. I see thanks. But, my game style has only a few objects in scene with prerendered backgrounds. I just want to know an average. For example, if all my textures where 1024x1024, how many objects (an average) could I have in scene for a mid-range 512 mb card?

1024 x 1024 x 24~ 4 mb, so 512 / 4 = 128.

Also, the point is that Crysis has very good lod system, because amout of materials per model is like 10-20 there sometimes.

Most (even 7 old) hardware should be able to handle 512 X 512 textures fairly easy.

However, texture resolutions depend on your game. Polygons that cover a large amount of space should use 1024 X 1024 images. If a polygon is very small, or you want to have a wide variety of textures, you might want to consider using 256 X 256.

A character of mine has a 1024x1024 color texture and a 2048x2048 normal map. This character is going to be with at most 3 other similar characters in scene with no other polygonal objects (because of the prerendered backgrounds). With such low use of polys and textures (in quantity) in scene is 2048x2048 reasonable? Or even if there is only 1 texture in scene this size is too much?

With such low use of polys and textures (in quantity) in scene is 2048x2048 reasonable? Or even if there is only 1 texture in scene this size is too much?

Well, you could use 4096x4096 images if your really want, just as long as you don’t have too many of them in a single scene. (2-6 of these textures would be fine).

Thanks you all.