Reassembling a Video?

OK, I imported a quicktime movie file into Blender and exported it as an image sequence.

Getting a good look for the lightsaber using Blender is just a little too time consuming and quirky right now.

I’ve found some good tutorials on how to do it with Pain.Net, and I think I’ve gotten a pretty good look:

I was thinking of just rotoscoping the film in Paint.Net as an image sequence, each frame individually adding the effect.

Now, how would I go about putting them back together (compositing) them in Blender?

I suppose I might load all the images (there are 210 frames) and export it as a quicktime or avi?

What sort of problems can I expect?

Thanks.

EDIT: Fixed

All I can say is you must like pain if you’re willing to do it that way.
You can load sequences into the sequence editor or the nodes compositor, nodes being easiest and most versatile. For nodes: Spacebar>Add>Input>Image. Click load new on the bottom of your image node and select the first frame of the sequence. In the top left field of the image node set the number of frames that the sequence contains. Be sure to turn off all options on the “Layer” field and “Passes” field of the render layers tab if you have no geometry to composite. Do the same for both sequences and combine them with an alpha over node (Add>Color>Alpha Over). You won’t need more than the single default renderlayer because you won’t actually be rendering a renderlayer anyway.

For sequence editor Add>Image and just right click and drag over all frames in the sequence then press enter. Do the same for both sequences then combine them with an alpha over strip. This is much more limiting than the nodes where you can add effects such as vector blur, blah, blah, blah.

Be sure that you set your time line to match the start number for the first frame in the animation if you use nodes, eg if start # of sequence is frame 158 with 210 frames set your timeline to start at frame 158 and end at frame 368.
I personally had little trouble setting up a light saber. Here’s a screenie and a link to the .blend

http://uploader.polorix.net//files/89/LightSaber.blend

Your end product would look a lot better if you had a better hilt for your lightsaber. Obiwan, Luke and Darth Vader’s original lightsabers were constructed mostly from plumbing parts available at just about every local hardware store.

Attachments

It’s not like we have an unlimited budget here.

SO, are you saying I only have to do that node sequence ONCE, and apply it to ALL frames?

And what I was doing in Paint.Net was MUCH easier than setting up a node network.

OK, I still don’t exactly get what you’re saying; I guess do I just position this over the frame in each shot?

Either way I’m having to do it frame by frame right? :confused:

Actually what you need is motion tracking software, not to be confused with Icarus or Voodoo which is Camera Tracking software. If you can’t find a free motion tracking suite on the net then I would recomend that you download Adobe After Effects 30 day free tryout and search the help files for “motion tracking” or “corner pinning”. You will need to set up reference points in your footage (which may require a re-shoot). Referenct the tip of the saber and also the intersection of the blade and the hilt. Track the footage forward and then retrack it in reverse. You will find excellent documentation in the help files on the entire process. Pingpong balls or white paint dots are often used for reference. The entire tracking process will only take a few minutes and will literally save you days or weeks of trying to do it by hand. Trust me when I tell you that your eyes wil find the results quite unacceptable even if your saber moves only one pixel from where it should be. You can think of it as looking like an army of dancing ants.

Sorry I didn’t mention the motiontracking tracking part in the above post. I’ve seen your name a lot in these forums and a lot of this stuff is kind of a given with many of the folks around here. I usually do explain myself better.

Edit: If you paint the saber once and import it as a still into After Effects there will be no reassembly necessary and you won’t need to work from a still sequence either as it can handle just about any type of images that you can think to load into it. Stills imported into the time line span the entire length of the composition. If you want to need to have the glow animated so that it seems to heave and shimmer with that powerful energy glow that it has in the movies then you select the file and use File>Interpret Footage> Main. From there you will count how many frames that your pulsing saber contains and divide that into the total number of frames in the entire composition. Then you enter the result into the field from the window that poped up. Example: your pulsing saber footage contains 10 frames and your comp is 210 frames long. 210 / 10 = 21. You may also have to de-interlace the footage which can also be found in the help files and re-interlace it upon export. It all depends on whether the final out put will be viewed on a television or on a PC. Good luck.