Recognising group instances?

I’m having a hard time understanding how to get around a problem I’m having when creating multiple instances of a group. I have a chest which contains the body, lid and a hinge. When the chest body/container area is clicked, the hinge rotates along a single axis, which opens the lid. Everything there works fine, the problem is when I group this chest and create more than once instance. If there is more than one instance of this chest, no matter which chest I click on, they will all flip their lid.

I was thinking of giving the chest a property with the name of the hinge connected to the chest so that i can play the IPO for that specific object, only problem with this is when i create the instance of the chest, I can’t rename the hinge object so that wouldn’t work. Anyone have any ideas how I could get around this?

I’ve uploaded a blend showing my problem, and tried to describe it as best as I could, if there’s something you don’t follow, please let me know and I’ll try explain some more.

Thanks.

Attachments

chests.blend (149 KB)

You’re broadcasting the message to every object with the name “ChestHinge”, and, as you found out, every object with that name responds. To fix this, don’t use a message. Just hook the mouse over and mouse click sensors directly to the hinge object. I’ve uploaded a new blend to demonstrate this.

Attachments

chests.blend (149 KB)