Recommendation for beginner sculpting?

Hello, I’m still new to sculpting but have been testing blender’s sculpt tools and I was wondering what I should start with to sculpt.
For example, should I start with just a poly sphere and sculpt from there or should I model a base mesh first to sculpt onto?
I also heard that there was a method where you start with a cube and subdivide it twice to get a spherical mesh.

Workflow will be different in dyntopo than it is using multiresolution. I only have experience in dyntopo.

Workflow is, of course, something you develop with experience. Check this post in Blender Tests: https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?264568-Dyntopo-tests for various ideas. One of the artists starts with a simple set of lines to create a character pose – a stick figure – and then applies a skin modifer to create a base for sculpting. Very interesting.

Regarding subdivided cube thing vs. icosphere, it is a matter of taste/preference. Start with a cube, use a subsurf modifier at level 2 (ctrl-2), apply, smooth, and then on to sculpt mode.

I’ve just started learning to sculpt and I recently tried starting from this object and pulling it into a shape (https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?438951-Glen-Larsen-Sketchbook&p=3288507&viewfull=1#post3288507). I’m still working my way to full-character sculpts.

Start with a Tablet :slight_smile:

no but really tho it completely depends on the tools you have, and preference. in Zbrush i just add spheres and morph them to an aproximate shape.

in blender i would just add primitive shapes like spheres, sylinders, and boxes, and just get the basic forms down. then use Dynamesh to block out the basic details like where you want muscles and such to be. and when you are happy with the shape, join everything into 1 object, and retopo it. then with this new mesh, use multiress modifier to add subdivision levels. This mesh you have now will likely end up being the final hi poly mesh. then when EVERYTHING is completed, do another retopo which will be your low poly.

Too vague. It all depends on

• what you’re sculpting (subject matter)
  • what you’re sculpting it for (end use, pipeline)
  • which of the two sculpting systems you’re using (dynamic topology, multiresolution)

Dynamic topology sculpting, as it says on the tin, can create the structure as you sculpt no matter the form you start with. But, you might still want to start by getting the basic volumes, proportions, and parts separation down with various block in methods if it’s a complex subject matter.

With multiresolution sculpting, a basemesh is a must because each level of subdivision adds resolution to everything, and the density needs to be controlled in the basemesh. More detailed forms need more geometry than less detailed ones. Without control, the model may get too heavy to handle.

The biggest difference between the two is that dynamic topology structure won’t be sufficient for getting it through the pipeline, it will need a retopology pass for that, where as multiresolution keeps the flows in the model structure and is non-destructive. Dynamic topology gives more freedom for experimentation because the structure changes no matter what forms you make so it can be better to start with, and use multiresolution further in the process when the model already has an optimized structure.

I would really like to recommend this video, don’t let the word advanced discourage you, it shows lots of basics;

Hey MrLee21, just get into it :slight_smile:
There really is no right or wrong way. It’s whatever works for you … to create great stuff. And that won’t come easy. Most likely not because of some technical know how, rather because of unpolished artistic sense.
Therefore the sooner you start, the better off you are in the long run.

I personally prefer starting off a subdivided sphere. And I sculpt exclusively in Dyntopo. In dyntopo one of the main things, in my opinion, is finding that sweet spot for “Detail Size”. I keep that around 8.8. And I’m mostly in “Subdivide Collapse” mode, and “Relative Detail”.

But just get in and in time, you’ll find what works for you.
Have fun!

I tend to make the base mesh, with basic things like toes, claws, etc and then using multires, starting at 2 or 3 (depending on the loopcuts added) to make the basics like muscles, bones, etc show, then moving onto 4 or 5 to add anything that requires even more (Like scales) then bake the top multires to a normal map and apply the texture to the model, scaled down to 3 (Multires) minimum.

TL;DR: Make a base mesh of what you want, then use sculpt to add details like muscles.