Recommended workflow to model hammer handle?

Hi, I’m currently learning blender. This is my first project. It’s currently WIP and I think I’m stuck with modelling rubber hammer handles. I would appreciate advices on how to proceed.

This is how it currently looks like (light and camera are set up for final render, hammers geometry and positioning are finalized):

I think the hammer handles look too boring, I want to add more details to them. Something like in this image:
SX425

Currently the mesh looks like this:

It seems to me that modelling the holes and ribs directly would require a huge amount of polygons and would be too time-consuming, I’d like to avoid it if possible. The other method I was thinking about using booleans to create holes, calculate the difference in geomerry and bake the normals, but I’ not sure if this is the right approach here? What would you suggest me to do?

Another option would be to go with something like these “ribs”:

but I have no idea how to do this. Ideally they all should be of the same depth along their lengh. Any advices on how to do this?

@Vusfnuv For the last one I think with the geometry you already have would be the easiest. Just add in another edge loop down the center the making that flat center line. Then take every other face outside that edge loop and inset individual faces " i " twice and then extrude those faces inward on their normals. then clean up any corners of the insets with support loops or a bevel.

@FlyingBanana, good idea. But to do this I would need to distribute existing faces evenly along “Y” axis, and make faces parallel, so that resulting ribs all look the same. Is there a way to do it in blender?

Yes you will have to add/move additional geometry to get the equal proportions. Or try to find that same hammer with a good side view of the handle and reference model it.

Or you could always just go with a noise or image texture for the handle. Quick and easy method.

So there is no way to automatically distribute points evenly along an edge loop? :sob:

Ok, for those who might also struggle with this.

I think I found a way to distribute points evenly. There is a build-in plugin mesh:looptools. After enabling it an option “space” will be available. It repositions selected points so that they have equal space between them.

My current result looks like this:

Thank you for the help!

2 Likes