recording 24 hours of computer footage

Hi guys. with Ecks and I compeating in another 24hour challenge. i was thinking of recording the whole lot, pulling out the good parts (or speeding the whole thing up lots) and releasing a video as a kind of tute of how we did it.

watching others and how they work is interesting.

well i was wanting to capture 24 hours of footage, preferably at 12 frames a second and upwards. but i was wanting to do so without slowing the computer down to much. (dunno if thats possible)

i was possibl thinking of using another computer to somehow capture it, but i don’t know how i would do that (perhaps i could connect another computer to this via a virtual desktop… i assume that uses no-or little extra CPU)

the other problem is my monitor is 1600x1200, is there a way to capture that at full res? or will i need to do 800x600 or somthing (and let people try and guess what buttons i am pressing?

if we can’t find a sollution that will work on this computer, or via an X server or somthing, then how about a program that will take a screenshot every 1 minute for example. (1,440 frames). i guess it would not show things as well but would be ok.

anyone know the performance hit of a screenshot? would it be possible to model and screenshot every 5 seconds perhaps?

we will be going pretty nuts on the modeling so the lowest performance hit is important.

Alltaken

but how are you going to cover up the flirting between you and ecks on the instant message chats? :o

only kidding, i think it is a great idea to record this, and maybe cut up sections for a tutorial, i always wanted to know how to flirt with men through instant message chats. :smiley: :o

I think what you propose is not very practical for file size over 24 hrs.
I have suggestion though that you have something like wink running and make screen captures every once in while to follow approximate progress for ‘what I did in holidays’ slides later and… also you make voice comment to tape recorder as you go. If you still able to speak after 24 hrs you doing well :wink: Later you review comment tape and use something like Photostory3 to explain in compact way slides for us in not too big file please %|
hope this helps and good luck i back you to win you pretty good

I did something like this for a game but not for such a time scale.

I would lower your resoltuion down to 1024x768. And then use some screen capture software it wont use up much CPU time but what it will do is use harddrive time, which will slow down your pc.

So probably getting it to save on another computer through NFS, could be your best bet.

If your using Linux to do this you can change the “nice” levels of your software so the capturing wont affect your blendering much in the competition.

Or you could always get a video camera and prop it infront of the monitor. :wink:

So you’ll need something like “allow help from another computer” in Windows.

how about truly analog?
Project it on a wall and capture the projection?
LOL, dunno bout the quality though.

Narcist games who use the words “whooped” and “headshot” all the time like to look back on their kills and have plenty of screenshots.
There’s a program called Fraps, and as far as I know it can take screendumps every X seconds.
Tried it once (yeah I can be a narcist on occasions, though don’t say “whooped”) but found it kinda slow on reso’s higher then 800x600.
You can still use it, but prepare to have a short freeze everytime it takes a screenshot.
P

i would use a vnc proggy.

like tightvnc. you just run the server on your computer and have a host somewhere else, with a program recording the screen on that computer.

you can set the compression to very low because you are on a low latency connection that is a home lan. That is what I would do, but you need two computers. Linux and windows are compatible though.

I don’t think you should use a capture program. What about trying that TV card that blew up your machine again? Doesn’t that give you TV-out or something so you can record your screen onto tape or preferably to a DVD video recorder or Hard Drive and then capture it/transfer it back.

If you had a video camcorder, you could just record your screen but that might get a bit annoying if it’s in your way and you might get screen flicker.

The trouble with the analogue solution would be that it might be difficult to read the text coming down from 1600x1200.

Think of practicality aspects though

1. how you going to host such big files at end of it?
  2. how many persons can and want to download massive files?
  3. how many persons want to watch Alltaken for 24 hrs? :o :-? sorry I see your shorts already
  4. maybe lot of it not that spectacular…long wait between going to toilet and action… :wink:
  5. if you video it and later compress it all details get lost - this is moan I have with blender conference files particularly for my old eyes.

All this is why rubbleman wants cut to chase screen views and commentary.Maybe I just be quiet though and let smart persons decide sorry if i say to much now i sign up… :wink: should be like fly on wall again

well you need to capture everything before cutting it, no?

i would propose that the whole thing in the end be no-longer than 1 hour of footage.

i mean who needs to see me joining verts for hours? or doing mundane things.

but a few things might be really handy, and i might single them out. i also might store every single render i do (including test ones) to show a timeline on the net…

since i don’t knwo what i will do, i don’t know what will turn out, and i don’t know what will be important.

What about trying that TV card that blew up your machine again?

i don’t think so, i think it has TV input but i doubt it has output. it was a TVtuner card afterall.

i think my current plan will be to ‘try’ a vnc client. i think i will capture 1600x1200 as 800x600, i don’t think that will be to bad. i have watched other peoples footage and you can guess most stuff i think, (like key combos), i don’t think i am really keen to reduce my resolution while i work… but perhaps i could… 1024x768 just scares me though, everything is always huge.

Alltaken

You can do it with anologue and edit it that way before converting it to digital…unless you dont have the proper equipment of course. Or you could just use a DV camera. Heres a way to reduce flicker:

$30 Film School a book I have on filmmaking. I just thought I’d share this information so you can avoid large file size.

well i had a chat with Ecks, and we reckon a screenshot every so-and-so will be sufficient.

maybe every 5 mins depending on the CPU hit involved. i dunno if it will be enough for tutorials though, so i might run somthing else, (since i have access to a number of fast computers)

might do a VNC 800x600 50% (still readable i tested it) screen cap with about 1 frame a second. (1 frame a sec i hope is enough for tutes if need be.)

thanks for the info everyone. still open to ideas, the challenge isn’t till the 17th

Alltaken

I guess I really don’t have anything to add to all that except that I’d like to see the vids. And that back when I played tachyon a guy recorded his gameplay with a video out on his vid card. Seemed to work fine, I think the high-end ATI cards have a way to hook up to a video camera but I’ve never been able to afford either one.

Anyway good luck.

[quote=“vliegtuig”]

Narcist games who use the words “whooped” and “headshot” all the time like to look back on their kills and have plenty of screenshots.
There’s a program called Fraps, and as far as I know it can take screendumps every X seconds.
Tried it once (yeah I can be a narcist on occasions, though don’t say “whooped”) but found it kinda slow on reso’s higher then 800x600.
You can still use it, but prepare to have a short freeze everytime it takes a screenshot.
P[/quote]

I pwned you be-otch!! Use bullets n00b!!

(sorry, couldn’t resist…was playing Joint Ops the other day and this dude was the only other guy on our team who wasn’t sucking horribly…every kill he would make on the opposing team (which was mostly a clan) he’d talk smack to them)

I’m not real familiar with the internals of Blender or the capabilities of Python, but it could be possible to write a Python script that would call the ‘dump screen’ function within Blender at certain time intervals. My guess is is that Python has time functions similar to what’s in ‘time.h’ for C. You could have the script dump the screen and save the file named after the time itself. Since the Blender libraries are already loaded, it seems like the overhead for such an operation would be fairly minimal.

set your vid card to a tv and record it on a vcr or something like that