Recovering blend files from a formatted drive

I accidentaly formatted the wrong drive using clean disk when i was trying to reinstall windows. I tried getting the files back using several recovery softwares and it was succesful, except for blend files (it doesnt support blend files). I also tried to use recovery softwares that are able to recover blend files but all of the blend files are corrupted. When i try to open the blend files it says “error: file format is not supported in file …”. Every other file format (dwg, pdf, jpg, etc) was succesfully recovered.

Is there anyway i could get the blend files back?

Or if there are any recovery software that has succesfully recovered blend files?

Things I’ve tried

• Appending to a new blend file
  • Opening it with different blender versions
  • Other recovery software

Welcome :tada:

If you have made a complete format… especially any “cleaning” app with even multiple overwrites then all data is lost …
You seems to be in luck (quick format ?? ) but it seems the blend files are not completly recovered…

… and you already tried almost everything … :frowning:

I have found Recuva to be my go-to recovery…It has been successful in almost every recovery…

1 Like

Welcome to BA :slight_smile: Sorry to hear about this problem, it’s always the worst when this happens. (If you can, I’d recommend getting a backup drive!)

Have you tried a professional recovery service? While they’re not cheap, they are extremely good at what they do

I hope you get your blend files back. I’m writing though to thank you for reminding me to make back ups. I’ve been neglecting that.

Yea, it feels like I’m running out of options. What gave me hope is that I successfully recovered almost every file format I needed, including its folder structure and its name, as if it was never formatted. The only problem was that the software i used (Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery) didn’t support blend files.

I just tried using Recuva but sadly the hard drive is unallocated with no drive letter so it wont recognize it. I’m afraid if I assigned a letter it would make things worse. But it seems like it is able to recover blend files.

Maybe I should start doing that :grin:

Well you can use it as a last option when you have nothing else you can do. Assign a driver letter and let recuva do its thing.

I don’t think I have heard that assigning a drive letter reduces your chance of a successful recovery. I thought it was writing on to the drive that causes issues proportional to the amount of space that is used.

Assigning drive letter formats the entire drive (again), won’t that be a problem? But I admit I don’t have alot of experience with data recovery.

A quick format simply removes the pointers that your OS would use to find files. Any data it writes will be small.

Issues with data recovery occur when you write files onto the drive. You increase your chances of writing over the previous data in proportion to the amount of data you write and the size of the drive.

1 Like

Thank you for explaining that, I understand it a little bit better now.

I just assigned a letter and tried recovering it with recuva but it didn’t work. It still say the same thing in the console when i opened the file (error: file format is not supported in file …), and when i try to append it it says “: not a library”. The blend files I tried were also in “excellent” state.

The file sizes of the recovered blend files are what is expected, so there must be something inside them right?

Did they recover with the designation of .blend? I was thinking you had to determine what the file was and add the designation yourself ( I admit I haven’t used the latest version)…
Last recovery from a data stick I just had a folder with undesignated data files…
Try renaming the file including .blend and see if it helps…

If not can you share just one of the smaller files and Ill take a look…

Every time you write data to the drive, the drive has to find somewhere to put that information. It might go somewhere you don’t care about. But it might go smack in the middle of one of your blend files. So avoid (re)formatting it, don’t copy any files onto the drive until you’ve finished recovering, and don’t recover files from the drive to itself.

I recommend using “testdisk” which is a cross-platform file recovery utility with a misleading name. It does not require a drive letter. You just run it, select the device, locate the partition, list the files, navigate the directory structure, toggle files to recover, and copy them to a new location (such as a flash drive). It does not care what file type the files are. Its TUI is clear and intuitive.

1 Like

Seconding testdisk.

Yea, it recovered with the .blend extension with the correct file names and some of them also recovered with its folder if that’s what you’re talking about. The only problem is that it wont open. I could send one of the blend file it to you privately.

Yes send a small one and I’ll take a look at it…