Recreating 2001 slit scan effect in Blender

I am trying to recreate the stargate sequence from 2001 A Space Odyssey, or something like it.

Here’s what I came up with so far. I tried to recreate the set up used on the film. The main thing that’s missing really is time exposure. I’m not sure if that’s possible with Blender. I’m using motion blur, but it’s just not quite right.
Maybe someone knows of a better way of doing this. I’m not too knowledgeable about nodes yet, or compositing in Blender.

Render:

Blend file:
Slit-Scan.001.blend (1.6 MB)

Please let me know if you have any ideas.
Thanks!

1 Like

After many hours of tweaking and experimenting, I finally got some impressive results. My set up is pretty close to the technique that Douglas Trumbull used on the film in real life. I wasn’t sure if Blender was capable of doing it, because it’s a real world camera thing, long exposures, but I made the camera move from far away to up close in a single frame, and used Cycles’ motion blur effect, and it worked! It took awhile to find the right settings, but it works.

For my lit up artwork that scans behind the slit, I used some procedural textures to make a colorful image. I think some of the textures are actually animated, so that adds some extra movement, which turned out to be an interesting surprise. I think I will experiment further with that.

Anyway, here’s the render I did last night.

2 Likes