Alright, so I’m trying to recreate TARS from Interstellar in Blender with cycles, make it move around a bit, then put it onto an IRL video. I’m going for as realistic as possible. As you can see in the video, I’m far from that.
Here’s a few problems I’ve already identified:
- Edges are way too sharp. Need to add bevels. EDIT I added bevels, looks significantly better but still not great.
- Shading doesn’t match the video, and at times it overlaps.
- Materials just don’t look right. I need to experiment here. (Using BlenderGuru’s PBR Metal with Titanium preset)
- No surface imperfections. If anyone can suggest good, preferably free ways to add in stuff like metal brush scrapes and roughness, would be much appreciated.
- Animations are jagged and unnatural. I have no clue how to animate, but I’m learning.
I need help identifying problems with the scene, helping me solve those problems, and feedback in general.
Also, just for fun, I made a golden version of TARS. It looks pretty bad, especially the reflections. I’m using an HDRI I made of the same spot I’m filming at, and at the same time.