red dragon

What do you think? It’s my first whole(!) dragon.
Comments please!

also posted here: http://www.deviantart.com/view/29428709/

Attachments

head looks good but something is strange on the hips. it looks like detached from the body ( and in my opinion the flesh on the upper leg bone is at the wrong side of the bone. your tights also hang on the back of your legs, not on the front :wink: ).

what about wings? would make him more complete ( in my opinion that is ).

I like the pose. One bit of advice though, on the back legs: The back feet are too long. You’re doing digitgrade feet, which means that the entire foot is raised up off the ground. So the part you’ve got raised is fine, but the paw at the end is just the last couple toe bones. So it looks like you’ve added a few bones that shouldn’t be there. Other than that, I like it so far. Keep going!

Thanks. :slight_smile:

but something is strange on the hips. it looks like detached from the body ( and in my opinion the flesh on the upper leg bone is at the wrong side of the bone.

Oh, that’s true. Don’t know much about the anatomy of a dragon. :wink:
Wel, but I did make it right. seems that subsurf has unwanted influence there.

your tights also hang on the back of your legs, not on the front :wink: ).

what about wings? would make him more complete ( in my opinion that is ).

Well, this dragon dose not have wings. I don’t think I will add some. There are Dragons without wings in Middle Earth. (There are also dragons without feet there…)

It’s a pose made with an Amature so you can mov the dragon into any possible pose! :wink:

One bit of advice though, on the back legs: The back feet are too long. You’re doing digitgrade feet, which means that the entire foot is raised up off the ground. So the part you’ve got raised is fine, but the paw at the end is just the last couple toe bones. So it looks like you’ve added a few bones that shouldn’t be there.

Oh, you’r right. That will be quite some work to fix.

Other than that, I like it so far. Keep going!

as far as i know there are no dragons at all in LOTR… <.=.<
otherwise this is your choice of course.

Middle Earth extends well beyond LOTR.

Middle Earth extends well beyond LOTR.[/quote]
Indeed! The dragon in The Hobbit has wings, but one dragon in The Silmarillion doesn’t have wings. And one doesn’t even have feet.

And in LOTR there are the Nazgul with their dragonlike flying creatures.

Middle Earth extends well beyond LOTR.[/quote]
Indeed! The dragon in The Hobbit has wings, but one dragon in The Silmarillion doesn’t have wings. And one doesn’t even have feet.

And in LOTR there are the Nazgul with their dragonlike flying creatures.[/quote]
smaug is a dragon ( but ‘the hobbit’ is not part of LOTR ). fellbeasts are no dragons ( and are part of LOTR ). that is what i know from somebody knowing that stuff throughoutly :wink:

I’ve watched the movies and the fellbeasts didn’t even look like dragons to me. I look at this image and to be honest the face looks a little like a bull.

Looks nice to me.:slight_smile: I think it would benefit from a slightly more defined musculature, more detailed textures, and some wings.8) It seems like a more “friendly” dragon to me. Cool stuff.:smiley:

DwarvenFury

Wow! Sweet dragon. It looks sleek, somehow; kind of leopard like. Intelligent eyes… that’s a plus. I see a lot of dragons, but I must say, this is one of the few I actually like.

He needs wings, man. <.<

I think it would benefit from a slightly more defined musculature,

only when I knew more about anatomy. :wink:

more detailed textures,

and I also don’t know anything about texturing.

and some wings.8)

well yes, maybe a other time.

It seems like a more “friendly” dragon to me. Cool stuff.:smiley:

jeah, it’s supposed to! :slight_smile:

Well they look like dragons to me: http://minas-morgul.one.pl/~witch-king/grafiki/tindomiel/images/nazgul.jpg
(but this are dragons with wings)

And the face. Well I did my best.

thanks! :slight_smile:

He needs wings, man. <.<

Well I don’t dare to make wings yet.

Edited the backfeet. What do you think?

Edit:
Well, when I look at the side view… maybe he’s a bit to fat.

Attachments

yes but I didn’t say LOTR, I said ‘middle earth’. morgoth (saurons master) breeded the dragons ages before LOTR.

fellbeasts are no dragons ( and are part of LOTR ).

didn’t claim that. but the flying beasts the nazgul ride look like dragons to me.

Here is a front view.

Attachments

Somehow some of those poses remind my of my dog. Should help to be remedied once texturing gets into shape and modeling gets complete.

Nice.

Your dragon seems to have characteristics of different animals:
a wolf, an eastern lung-dragon and a westerndragon.

Does he really need Wings? The chinese Lung-Dragons does not have Wings.
Of course you could try to make Wings for your dragon. I think it would be better to improve your dragon as he is.

In my “Twalch-At Lung”-Thread you wrote:

Nice eyebrowns and nose. This is where I have to work on.

He probably needs an eyelid, too.

His legs need some improvements. Especially the legs on his Backside. Maybe it would help you to study the legs of Wolves:
http://www.searchingwolf.com

Mmmh. I like your dragon.
Keep working on it.

In Achtsamkeit,
Leonard Siebeneicher.

PS:
I am learning english. Please inform me (Via Private Message) about mistakes. %|

the young lóng has no wings, adult ones though grow them ( but who lives long enough, to be precise tousand of years, to see an adult lóng :o )… even certain sub-species of them have wings ( can’t remeber anymore what he’s responsible for, but he has wings that guy ).

indeed. :slight_smile:
Thats how I imagine dragons. (maybe the nose is a bit to dogish for my taste. just a bit.)

I think it would be better to improve your dragon as he is.

Well, yes. But how? How do I make it better? (Here speeks a n00b!)

In my “Twalch-At Lung”-Thread you wrote:

[quote]Nice eyebrowns and nose. This is where I have to work on.

He probably needs an eyelid, too. [/quote]
probably. :wink:

His legs need some improvements. Especially the legs on his Backside. Maybe it would help you to study the legs of Wolves:
http://www.searchingwolf.com

Thanks for the link. But considerd the fact that I didn’t use a reference picture of any kind for the first version it turned out quite well, though I used the hind paws of my cat as a reference after I’ve been told that they look a bit awkward.

Mmmh. I like your dragon.
Keep working on it.

In Achtsamkeit,
Leonard Siebeneicher.

PS:
I am learning english. Please inform me (Via Private Message) about mistakes. %|

Well my english isn’t perfect, too. (I’m from austria.) Sometimes my sister helps me with the wording.

Made new render. Edited the colors and brigthness a little with gimp.

Attachments