Red Ivy WIP - Compositing Issues

Hey all,

I’m working on a simple scene of some hanging red leaves over a misty lake. I’m using the compositor to create the mist, but that’s causing the leaves to look really jaggedy against it. They look fine against the background before compositing. Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

Blender 2.62 w/Cycles at 5000 passes.

Cheers!

Edit - also, any other general comments/critiques more than welcome.

You have to blur the mist a bit…as far as I know there is now way around it. I would play with the blur amount and keep it as low as possible. Other thank that its quite a striking image:) good composition and the red makes it all work.

Happy Blending:)

Thanks for the reply Derek! I can’t take too much credit for the composition - this piece is based off a photograph I had lying around my computer. Unfortunately I don’t know the attribution, but tinyeye tells me that it’s part of several wallpaper theme packages for Ubuntu…

I tried blurring the mist nodes but it doesn’t seem to be doing much… I might just touch up those leaf edges in GIMP and call it done. This “quick project” has turned into a good amount of time and I’m itching to get to the next project!

Cheers!