Red Warrior

Hi folks,

It’s been a reeeeally long time since I did something new, but I’ve been fiddling with this render for quite a while now, and I’m calling it done. I hope you like!

Done in Blender, Zbrush, Substance and Photoshop for compositing.
EDIT: I forgot to add, I also used marvelous designer for the white shirt. :slight_smile:
ARTSTATION: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/nneq1

Clay render:

43 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

nice work , i like it, the details you,v add to the sword ,the dress her hair and the accessories ,its pretty amazing , i like the outfit even though the pose dosent show most of it
can you tell us more about the materials , textures

1 Like

I love how you did the accessories swirling around in the air, gives a very dynamic feeling! Can you elaborate how you created those, did you use a sim or did you “just” model after a reference?

1 Like

That really is rather smashing. Although I am slightly concerned about the psycho-killer look in her eyes, in combination with that meat cleaver she’s carrying.

But yeah, I like it. :smiley: Great concept and execution.

1 Like

This is crazy. One of the better characters I’ve seen in a long time. So much story but I have no idea what her story is. Perfect.

1 Like

thanks! the materials are of course all done in Cycles, with textures generated in Substance Painter, but also I did some texturing in Blender (some areas on the face, skin for example, as well as the eyes) The plants are modeled and textured in Blender. I used almost no procedural texturing, everything is UV unwrapped. The background is rendered in Blender as well.

I modeled the cloth for the most part, but I did use a basic cloth sim on the white shirt/blouse thing. I also made use of a very nice addon (which can be downloaded for free) more info here: https://www.blendernation.com/2018/01/18/modeling-cloth-addon-available-experimentation/

after the simulations are done, I generally freeze them and do some extra sculpting to add a bit of ‘artistic touch’ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Gumboots @BigBlend thanks guys! I’m glad you like her :slight_smile:

wow this is sounds crazy,
how offten do you make the size of the skin texture and do you use normal maps or bump to create this type off skin,
also i assume the rigging was really hard , i always get mad when rigging clothes to a body

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the link! I have at least one project down the road where this will come in handy.

1 Like

You’re #featured, enjoy :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s awesome ! A really cool and appealling character, a great mood in a fascinating scenery… Well done !

1 Like

I usually use 4K or 8K resolution maps for skin, and it’s often a combination of Normal maps and black&white bump maps to get the final look. you can check a bit of my process here: https://youtu.be/H57IDJNeD3U?list=PLd1HjDNbBwgcRsuf9Dsuu0VudAv1sw2kf

as for the riggin, yes it’s usually a chore :smiley: I usually just build an extremely basic rig for posing, then apply it and take it further with additional sculpting and shape keys.

@bartv wow thanks a lot!! :hugs:

1 Like

Very nice man! Can I ask where did you get the inspiration for the clothing and general style? Overall its a awesome piece!

1 Like

thank you! I was quite inspired by a fantasy book series called Stormlight Archive, written by Brandon Sanderson. It’s a high fantasy series and very well written, although this character is not strictly fan-art because it’s not based directly on any character in the books, I just got some general ideas from there.

1 Like

Holy shit, when i zoomed in and saw all the details… my jaw was on the ground :wink:

this is great piece man! I do think the background should have a bit of a different hue perhaps. I tend to have the feeling she’s blending to much in with the background. But perhaps that the perpose.

The hair is done amazing, you got some tips on hair modeling looks? Is that simple single parent strands placement and then use child particles to follow?

Perhaps you forgot one app, Marvelous D, i mean those clothes did you model these or sculpt them in Zbrush? If so that is an truly amazing job then. Marvelouss D is super easy to do that. Sculpting all of that is a true art i think

1 Like

So good it inspired me to look for a like function in the new forum software.

This belongs on the Blender start splash screen.

1 Like

thanks! glad you like it. My bad, I forgot to add Marvelous designer :smiley: I used it to do the white shirt she’s wearing. the rest of the clothes were done in Blender using cloth sim and modeling/sculpting.

The hair is done much as you described, but if you’re interested in more detail, feel free to check out some of the videos on my youtube page: https://youtu.be/8L3wq6d26yI?list=PLd1HjDNbBwgdayqBYabZ9xuDm4kSHXGWA

there are several hair related videos on my youtube. just search around a bit and you’ll see them. :slight_smile:

@deltaray thank you!

1 Like