<Redacted>

O_O REALLY!?! :rofl: I totally couldn’t tell that, and totally wasn’t being obviously sarcastic by saying they were Totally Proportionate. :joy:

Off topic: Although it was quite obvious (at least to me it was), you might want to add a /s or /jk to the end of your sarcastic comments, so it’s 100% obvious for everyone reading and nobody needs to guess.

On topic: what’s the wireframe looks like now?

2 Likes

OK, just making sure that any/everyone looking at it, see how blatantly wrong it is.

Been waiting to see that as well.

If you plan on selling this some day, you may want to practice toning back the hostility (I know, it’s “sarcasm”, but pointed sarcasm is just hostility with an extra layer of complication)- customers don’t like this tone at all, and I’ve seen many a promising product or company die on the vine because customers end up feeling offended by communications and leaving bad reviews. I’ve worked with hundreds of clients over the years and I’ve learned- people don’t do business with sarcastic people.

Some free advice, do whatever you want with it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I would feel bad for anyone who couldn’t figure that out on there own. It should be clear to everyone that it was meant to be blatantly wrong.

Regarding topology, thumbs up!

It’s definitely improving. The topology looks solid, and the proportions of the large structures of the face seem mostly reasonable.

From an anatomical standpoint: The mouth looks wide. For most people, the corners of the mouth line up roughly with the center of the pupil. Yours look like they’re between the edge of the iris and the outside corner of the eye. And it’s hard to tell from these pictures, but the mouth also looks flat from front to back. Real lips have a curve to follow the teeth. Temporarily putting in a set of teeth may help with refining that shape.

If you’re not already planning to fix this in later updates to the eye: The eyelids look like they may need to curve more to conform to the shape of the eye, there shouldn’t be much, if any, of a gap between the inner edge of the eyelid and the eyeball.

I don’t remember if you mentioned this anywhere: Any idea how you’re going to tackle ears?

1 Like

I saw this post earlier today from way back when. This guy’s also trying to piece together and animate human meshes, and thought there might be some tips and tricks you can gleam from it.

2 Likes

Yep I can see it too. The faces look much better than previous images on this thread. How does the topology look like now ?

Generally, I think generating faces or even entire bodies procedurally isn’t the smartest way to make a character generator. It’s going to be nigh impossible to match the quality of hand-modeled humans, and even if this generator reaches a state where you can comfortably and quickly variegate, you’re not going to get the iteration speed or fine tuning that you get with sculpting.
I think this whole endeavour shows a general misunderstanding of the realities of visual effects. Which isn’t to say that it isn’t cool ! I love proceduralism and CGI characters, this is a fun project. And to be honest the faces are starting to look okay. But basically, you’d get there in a fraction of the time with a flexible rig and a bunch of shapekeys, which is what animation rigs like Morpheus do. As far as I know, it’s also more or less what Metahuman does. Some video games have a character creator (Elder Scrolls, Fallout, or the recent Harry Potter game) that looks like it works on the basis of shapekeys as well.

My concerns are mostly centered on topology : as others have said before a good topology is the only way to have a character both detailed and lightweight (in terms of polycount). For instance, if you want to make the forearm wider, you might need an extra edgeloop running along the length. But you don’t want this edgeloop to run all the way through the shoulder, climb the neck and end up creating a crease throughout the head and face. Depending on topology this may very well be what happens. Instead, you’d want to close that loop somewhere upstream of the forearm, and I know no way of doing that procedurally. I mean, it would be extremely complex logic, and for very little payoff since you can do that by hand pretty easily. Same goes for any part of the body really.

What might be interesting is to have a base model on the side, with dense and animation-grade topology, that you would project onto your generated model. But even then I’m not sure it isn’t better to just use that base model and deform it using a rig and shapekeys (rig for general proportions and limb pivots, shapekeys for flesh).

Good luck,

Hadrien

7 Likes

Not even future customers ?
Anyway: why then even posting anything ??

Also because the 100%-procedural-humanoid-thread now changed into a look-how-the-topology-improved-thread… making a human figure while using some parts/points/data merging procedurally into something more complex (like metaballs for example) is more art than a mathematical approach.

…and that’s the reason why they do exist already… but then again → see first sentence and we are running in circles…

:person_shrugging:

Good luck.