Rediculously simple answers to seemingly complex problems.

I’ll start by answering a question that seems complex, but has a simple answer.

1). My golf game is going wrong, the club goes through the ball and changing the ticrate doesn’t work, the ball, if it flies, goes through rocks and trees it slams into head on, the geometry is too complicated to cover with collision meshes with a box bound, how do I solve this problem?

ANSWER: It’s easier then you think, just put this in a script.

import PhysicsConstraints
PhysicsConstraints.setNumTimeSubSteps(5)

This drastically increases collision precision and is a real lifesaver for golf games if you don’t need a huge amount of physics objects.

Post seemingly hard questions that most people stump on with simple solutions here.

Problem: I want to set up a way to toggle a boolean property.
Answer: Add a property actuator which sets the value of the boolean to !property , where “property” is the name of the property.

problem: how do i make great chessy maccaroni

answer: after you make it the way the package says, bake it in the oven with extra cheese.

(you never said the question had to be GE related)

Q. Joystick logic brick dose not seem to work.

A. Add a value of around 5000 to the Threshold field. (can be 500-3000 for my joystick)

I’m not exactly sure if the solution to this problem is simple enough, but. . .
Problem: I’m making a third-person game, like Sly Cooper or MySims. How do I make the player rotate to the correct facing (press up and the player rotates forward smoothly, press right and the player rotates to the right)? :frowning:

Solution: You can use Python (Ohh. . . .) to check the direction the player is currently facing and the direction the player should be facing. If the target direction is larger or smaller than the current direction, then the player could rotate and change the actual direction to slowly match the current direction. Make sure to convert the target direction value to radians (degrees * (pi / 180), I think) before applying the direction (Blender works in radians). :wink:

Q-How can I make my character sheath and draw his sword and still run with it in both positions?
A-Here is my explanation:

Okay, so you’ll need two running/walking animations: one with the sword in his scabbard and one with the sword in his hand. You will also need an int property called sword with a starting value of 0 (this controls what action will be played). Let’s say your key to sheath/wield your sword is space. Add a keyboard controller with spacebar as the key. Connect it to a property actuator -ADD +1 to property sword-. Add a property sensor with sword = 2, connect it to a property actuator, and set it to -ASSIGN 0 to property sword-. Make two more property sensors for sword = 0 and sword = 1.

If your keyboard sensor for running is UPARROW, add a keyboard sensor with uparrow as the key. Connect it to two action actuators: one for the first anim, one for the second anim. String “wires” between the property actuator: sword = 0 to the AND controller connected to the first anim. action actuator. String sword = 1 to the AND controller connected to the second anim. action actuator.

Now you need an action with your character sheathing his sword (you only need one:sheathing or drawing, you pick). Let’s assume the first anim. is with the sword in hand, and the second is with the sword in the scabbard. Make two more action actuators, one with the sheathing anim., the other with the sheathing anim. reversed (ex. if your animation is from frames 1-15, then the first actuator would have 1-15, and the second would have 15-1). Now, all that’s left to do is connect the property sensor sword = 0 to the sheathing action, and sword = 1 to the drawing one. Also, connect the spacebar sensor to the AND controller leading to the different actions.

Seemingly simple???

Uhm. . . An (I don’t know about seemingly quick or simple) answer:
Question: When I use the ADD function for a plane, it seems partially transparent. . .
Longer Answer: The answer seems to be this: the add button works transparency with white (opaque; solid) and black (invisible). If the image you are displaying is one color, use white for the image with a black (invisible) background to make the image that you see (white) completely visible. Then, use vertex colors, or perhaps IPO colors to change the color of the image.
Shorter Answer: Use white for visible areas and black for invisible areas on your image. Then use vertex colors or IPO colors to change the color.
Hope that helps. :wink:

Question: How do I copy things from scene to scene?
Answer:You can make a complete copy of the current scene by adding a new scene; Blender wiill then give you the option to make a copy of the current scene. To copy individual objects, select the objects and then select Ctrl-L and select "To scene. . . " to link the objects. However, this is just a link, so to make actual duplicates, press the U-Key to make the object single-user, making it not share any data. Note that you probably would want to select the most options to make single-user to make the object as independent as you wish.

Question: Which images should I use for textures on objects?
Answer: Simply, don’t use BMPs, as Blender isn’t very reliable in whether or not it will load BMP files, and besides, BMP files are larger in size than other file types, and Blender may load BMP files slower than others as well.

Q: I need my game to run smoother/faster. It ran fine without textures but now the framerate is destroyed.
A: Make sure all of your textures are either JPG, PNG, or TIF as I find these work best in Blender and that all images are a multiple of two (2x2, 4x4, 8x8, 16x16, 32x32, 64x64, 128x128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, btw the last 3 are really too big for BGE) I hate math, but learning the multiples of two is the best thing you can do in the computer world. That’s the best tip I can give…

Question: Something’s wrong with the Track To actuator and vertex parenting. The child object rotates the opposite direction of the parent object.
Answer: Ooohkayyyy. . . . . That’s not a question, but I had a similar problem. If this is experienced, try parenting the child object to an empty, vertex parented to the original parent object. This worked for me! :wink:

Question: Is it possible to create transparent TOTAL objects?
Answer: Really, YES. The slow way is to select the individual faces of the object and select the ADD button under the UV/image edit mode. The quicker way I found was to right-click a face and select ADD mode for the face. Then, go into the face menu in UV mode and select “Copy Draw Mode”. This will apply the draw method around all of the faces. Sweet. . . Now for an ogre with a REAL glass eye! :wink: I forgot; though, that alpha-mapped planes (I don’t know about Additive faces) slow down the game engine, so be easy with the transparency.

Q :- how can i make the screen fade to black ? , or un faid …
A:- ipo and alpha would do it …

Try pushing F7 and choose which axis to track with instead.