reference images

(MrPatel) #1

Is there a special way to load reference images in Blender or do I use planes. I loaded the images on to planes but they appear black when I Alt-Z

And also how do I overlap layers so that one is uneditable?

(Ecks) #2

You must add a LAMP!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

But you must UV map it first!

(z3r0 d) #3

if you do then I can help. Turn the 3d window you want into a button window. Click the little [i] sort of button at the bottom left of the window and drag up to the button window. (I forget the icon, but try). Then select the view buttons in the ‘frame’ (where there was a 3d window before), and play with the backround image (background pic?) buttons. (you will probably use one of them to enable the image, and another to load it)

then use the first method again to change it back to a 3d window.

(BgDM) #4

The only way to get reference images into Blender is to UV map them onto a plane, make sure the plane is the same size as your image, and then use the “ALT-Z”. It will show up then. If you just apply the imgae as regular texture, nothing will appear when you “ALT-Z”.

BgDM

(kai_yak) #5

Are you talking about rotoscoping?

If so check this very good viewlet tutorial

http://www.michaelv.f2s.com/tutorials.html

Adding a texture to a plane for rotoscoping 

Kai

(CurtisS) #6

What about using a Background image? I’m surprised nobody has suggested this yet.

Press Shift+F7 to bring up the Background image select buttons. The Background pic button turns the image on/off and use the load button to select the image to use.

(BgDM) #7

CurtisS: that does work. However, it takes up a lot more memory and makes blender run very slow, as compared to the UV mapping method.

Also, the background image function only allows 1 image to be used, (I think anyway), so if you have multiple angles to use as reference, (i.e. front, side, top, etc.), you can not see these.

BgDM

(theeth) #8

but, you can use an animated texture as background image, which makes it perfect want motion matching from a TV input or a film.

Martin

(MrPatel) #9

Ok I got the pictures loaded. Used UV mapping. Worked Fine.

And also how do I overlap layers so that one is uneditable?
So that I can have one layer with the reference images and one with the actual modeling.

(shibbydude) #10

This doesn’t answer the before reply but with creater 2.23 you can have multiple rotoscopes. You can have muultiple background images.

(theeth) #11

you can’t do that with layers, but you can do it with scenes. Just create a new scene and transfer the plane to that scene (Ctrl-L to link it to the other scene, than delete it from the first one). After that, go to the scene where you want to see the plane, but not be able to edit it. Go to the Display buttons window (F10), at the left side, click the “-” next to SET and choose the scene where the plane is.

Martin

(MrPatel) #12

Thanks.

(MrPatel) #13

I’ve got everything working, but since the reference images are in alt-z, when I try to start tracing with vertices I can’t see the lines between the vertices.

And also How would i join two vertices together so I can make a complete face?

(shibbydude) #14

Select the two vertices and press “f”. You then have a line between two vertices. Then if you have three vertices with lines, select them and press “shift-f” to make a face.

(theeth) #15

for the other problem, just select the object, go the the Edit buttons and change the Draw Mode to Wire.

Martin

(MrPatel) #16

I do that yet it changes everything in the scene to wireframe and I need the reference image to stay in alt-z

(hannibar) #17

When u push the subsurf button, the lines will become visible.

(MrPatel) #18

That doesnt work either. :frowning:

(theeth) #19

I know how to fix this, but I don’t have Blender installed here, so I can’t really tell you how to do it :-?

Martin

(MrPatel) #20

Is there a tool to conform something around an object. Bend it around an object. Like fit an eye socket around an eye ball. Mold it so to speak.

I was reading somethings about 3D Studio Max, and if anyone is familiar with it. The tool in there is called ‘bend’.