Refraction in Blender

Hi,
I have created a refraction node and normal map node for blender and would like to know what people think of it.
https://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=7696&group_id=9&atid=127

Thanks.

what’s the advantage of having a refraction node and normal map node compared to how refraction and normal mapping are made in blender now? thanks!

Because it’s node based, it helps those of us who use nodes more than the material panel work faster. There’s less switching between the node and material panel.

Because it’s node based, it helps those of us who use nodes more than the material panel work faster. There’s less switching between the node and material panel.

oh, i see… haven’t really read much on material nodes :smiley:
but are their outputs comparable in terms of quality? do you see nodes better than the “non-nodes”?

If the normal map node can be used in the node material editor and give the appearence of high quality detail on a material then I’m all for it

Awesome Normal Map node!

No, you’re thinking of shader nodes, this is a compositing node - i.e. it works as a post-process on the already-rendered pixels.

The value of a node like this would be fordoing things like faking refraction effects on top of existing (live or rendered) footage, heat distortion, the same sort of things that you can currently do with the displace node, but using an image source rather than having to get a grayscale or vector source out of 3D. Personally I think it’d be pretty useful, and worth including.

DUDE!!
That was your first BA post?
Surely not!
That’s gotta be the best first BA post ever! (Well in a long time anyway!)
Very useful indeed. The refraction node mimics one of the sapphire sparks I use in flint occasionally, but they call it lens distort (from memory). Nice one!

The material panel needs to be deprecated completely once the node workspace is made a little easier to work with. Mainly drag select should multiple select (alt-drag to delete), you should be able to zoom out further (zooming in is fine), when you drag a node it should follow the mouse as soon as it’s clicked - there is a slight delay in the drag so your mouse moves first and you think you’ve missed the node but then it starts to move, the noodle color could be black and then a selected node makes a white band or even a white glow (the gradient is hard to see against the backdrop).

I expected Blender to move to nodes completely much sooner because it’s just way easier to work with and helps people to understand how the render/composite process works. One reason I can see for the dual setup is because there are a lot of options to fit into some node blocks. If it was like Shake where the nodes are simply small blocks and the parameters for each node appear in a scrollable panel then it would be easier to fit all the options in. However, you do lose the ability to take screenshots of the setup to show others - you can have a way to save a node selection though like Shake and share that instead. A compromise could be to shift the button panels into the node workspace.

This way, the nodes stay as they are but the node panel could have a scroll panel at the side like the IPO window and that could have options specific to the selected node.

Anyway, good work on the node development cleung.

Oops, last time I post before downloading. =p

Thanks for the feedback!

Before totally redoing the material stuff, let’s first get texture rotation parameters in, ok?
(no, not object mapping, no)

osxrules

i kinda agree.

shadermaker pro a system i used years ago with pixels 3d had that approach.
it was very simple to use, a little bit more to learn at the beginning because you always
needed to add the nodes you needed like reflection, texture, etc but you quickly understood how it works.

the flexibility you had with it was amazing.

i dont dislike blenders current one, for simple shaders great, easy to learn.
but also think why keeping it when they put nodes in it ?

the shader taps get so filled up that the screen losses a lot of space.

I think it’s great refraction can be used as a speedup for raytracing, and normalmap has many uses. Do you know CrazyBump software? it’s free to test.
It does something special - a frequency analysis of the Image, so it let’s you to choose if you want to show more smaller or bigger details. such an analysis/remixing node would be also great.

It does something special - a frequency analysis of the Image, so it let’s you to choose if you want to show more smaller or bigger details. such an analysis/remixing node would be also great.

This is nice, I like it in CrazyBump, which is great little program. But is good to have more composting nodes in Blender, good work!