Refraction/Reflection/IOR question(s)

Hi there,

I’m trying to set up this glass desk in such a way to behave like a diffuse material, as to reduce fireflies, but still reflect the surroundings. I set up the material to use the Light Path node (according to various tutorials - in particular Blender guru’s interior arch. glass).

Problem is, I don’t like how the glass distorts objects behind/beneath it (the floor, wall, and power strip). The only way I found to fix this is to dial down the IOR from 1.45 to about 1, but then you lose the reflection of the computer monitor, and other things.

I just find it very strange that the glass distorts what is behind to such an extreme degree. It’s only a single sided polygon.

Refractions need an entry and an exit point to calculate correctly, that is, there light needs to go through a front face then exit through a back face.

So basically, try it with a solid 3 dimensional object instead of a flat plane.

1 Like

I actually tried that too. Same result. :confused:

Should not be the same result. Are the normals correct (pointing outwards)? Does it work if you bypass the lightpath stuff?

Anyway, I would use thin faces and manual glass shader setup: fresnel to mix either transparency or refraction with glossy. If using transparency, you should do ior = 1/ior for backfacing faces or it will look like snells window from underneath. If using refraction, you should use geometry/incoming for the refraction normal (the only reason for using refraction would be to have rough refractions).