Removed for privacy reasons

Hey guys, I feel like sculpting likenesses is never going to be the same again…

There´s a 35day free trial version for Blender 2.80 I´m trying out right now:
https://www.keentools.io/nightly-builds

It works much smoother than I expected… Scary stuff! This will either totally eliminate or make much easier the hardest and most cruicial part of likeness sculpting, which is getting the main forms/ general shapes right.

3 Likes

1 Like

Crazy and exciting stuff! This technique should be possible for animals as well. Amazing.

1 Like

Yes, however in the current version, you can only use an already premade head basemesh, no custom ones, so it´s pretty limited in that respect thus far. For humans it is quite nice tho and for vfx facial tracking, it´s simply amazing! :smiley:

1 Like

I thought of maybe we can then shrinkwrap our own models on top of these heads and get the topology we want but with the details from the generated head.
Gonna try out now. The tool works like magic!

1 Like

First of all: wecome to blenderartists! :tada: :upside_down_face:

That´s right, your idea will work for sure and is a great workflow :smiley:

Thanks!
So, this is the rough result.
Left - Shrinkwrapped head from a Manuel Bastione generated model.
Center - The original MB head
Right - The head generated by KeenTools FaceBuilder

Needs a little cleaning up, but the topology and edge flow on the left piece is more suitable for games and animation, it also has a lower polycount, and I think if we could bake normals from the KeenTools model, that would be awesome :slight_smile:

2 Likes

how about using vertex groups for shrink wrap?

1 Like

Looking good for starters :slight_smile: Here´s an addon that is currently being developed and I assume will be out pretty soon for cleaner shrinkwrapping of ready-made topology: https://blenderartists.org/t/semi-automatic-retopology-tool-prototype-2/1169338
Looks really promising :slight_smile:

Also Wrap, which is a very professional standalone tool with many many features has a free trial worth checking out:
https://www.russian3dscanner.com/

My own workflow would most likely be:
1.: Use keentools for baseheadshape
2.: Sculpt secondary forms (eyelid creases, node and mouth creases, proper ear anatomy) on top of that with dyntopo or currently still ZBrush (Sculptris pro mode, which is almost the same as dyntopo in Blender)
3.: Manually retopo using RetopoFlow addon (currently 3dCoat, since Retopo Flow isn´t ready for 2.80 just yet) I can more quickly retopologize a face than properly set up existing topology for shrinkwrap, that´s why I would do it like this.

@Weekend: using vertex groups for shrinkwrap modifier would indeed be worth a try! Especially around the eye area and the ears :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve been MIA for a while. What a treat coming back to this thread :slight_smile:
Just wow!

All the stuff you did based on top-cat concepts turned out amazing!

Kunigunde - Kunigunde
Max Grecke - Pink fro
Dmitry Barbashin - Forest creatures - Ram
Baldi Konijn - Demon Sketch
… the monkey, diaochan

Love your design of Cate Archibi!!!

1 Like

Thank you my man! It´s a pleasure to see you grace my thread again with your presence! :smiley:
I´ll hopefully have some new stuff up very very soon! :nerd_face:

Removed content for privacy reasons

4 Likes

Removed content for privacy reasons

3 Likes