Render a Cubemap or sphere map from blender?

Greetings,
I want to make an outer space scene into a cube map.
Is there a special script or tool for this?

i think bake render can help you with that… put a cube into a scene, add reflectivity into its material, unwrap it, then do a Full Render bake.

there’s a script that does it, i think it’s by macuno and s68. i think they made it for the purpose of using blender with gocubic. also, somewhere in the forum, there are instructions and camera settings for lining everything up. as for making a sphere map, check to see if there is a GIMP plugin?

Ok I will look into the ides.
Thank both of you for your help. :slight_smile:

It’s much easier than that…

Add a material, add a texture to that material, switch to the materials/textures context.
set the Texture type to Envmap.

This will reveal a new button panel called Envmap.
By default it’s probably set up ok, but just to check, it should be Static, of type Cube, the Ob field will default to the object that this material is on, set it to an object that will be the centr of the generated envmap (this object isn’t rendered in the envmap BTW)

Render the scene… It’ss generate six frames (one for each axis direction) and will then proceed to render the camera view.

WHen done if you go back to the Envmap panel you can use the Save Envmap button to save it (you can load it with load in future …Duh)

It will stay cached for future renders, so if you want to bake it again you need to use the Free Data button in the envmap panel.

Finally, for the sake of completeness, you could do it the old fashioned way…

Set a camera to FOV 90degrees, set the render size to something square (eg 512*512) and create a 6 frame animation where the camera just rotates to face down each axis direction…

Stitch together in photo editing software of choice!

ah yes, I forgot about using the envmap button. The last time I used it, there was some bug that was causing a 1 pixel wide border to render around each frame, which then got mapped onto your object. I think that was version 2.37 though, probably been fixed by now.