Render from Viewport in 2.5?

I was just wondering if anyone knows if this will be a feature - such that you can render your scene using the view from any of your viewports without having to place a camera at all…

I would have thought this would be a relatively simple thing to do, no?

We have this already. In the render buttons (F10), output tab, there’s a pulldown under the “Safe Buffers” button. If you choose “Image Editor” it will be renderer in one of the ports. You can preset which one by choosing the “UV/Image Editor” window type.

^i think dan is talking about rendering from the viewport, like 3ds max can.

Yup, hessies is right. I have to say that is one thing that I thought was rather handy when I tried 3DS Max (before I tried to model something with it and got nowhere). What I mean is a render taken from the viewpoint of whatever viewport you are in, and rendered in an external window, just like a normal render is.

As it is now, the quickest way that I know of rendering what you see in your viewport is to set the camera to the active view using ctrl+alt+0 and then physically grabbing the camera and trucking it back in order to achieve the view that you were in before.

In essence, what I mean is, why can’t the viewports behave like virtual cameras. To render from the ‘camera view’ of the viewport, you have either a function key, such as Ctrl+F12 or something similar. Whichever viewport is active, will be the one that produces the render.

Since viewports are variable sizes, it would most likely need to have a setting where you could define your max width and height for whatever the output is.

Also a thought: being able to ‘pin’ your renders so that they remain open when you press render again would enable you to have multiple render windows open for comparison.

One of these days, you should click the render button in your viewport. It’s surprising, what it does :wink:

You mean the one that says ‘Render this window (hold CTRL for anim)’? From what I can tell that just outputs a screenshot of the viewport, rather than a true render. Unless there is some way to define this button to perform a full render, rather than just a screen grab?

I’m with Dan on this. Some sort of “0 cam” would be neat feature. I mean, we can make any objects into camera, why can’t the “view” be a camera too.

Try shift “p” for previews from any view.

Also a thought: being able to ‘pin’ your renders so that they remain open when you press render again would enable you to have multiple render windows open for comparison.
Also “j” is supposed to flip from your current render to the previous one. (currently not working for me)

To me there’s not much point in having “final” quality renders from any view. It only takes seconds to move a camera into place for lighting/material checks and other render needs, and the camera gives you full control over the output.

Pappy

Also “j” is supposed to flip from your current render to the previous one. (currently not working for me)

Render, then press J and it will show blank. Then minimize the render window. Make your changes, then press Render or F12. Now when you press J it should switch between them. The key is to use the empty one to fill with the new render, even though it says previous.

Thanks Egan, one more tool understood!

Though it looks like it doesn’t work when rendering to the image editor.

Pappy

You can already align a camera to the view.

Through the header menu:

View -> Align View -> Align Active Camera to View

Martin

That does come close actually - I forgot about that. Although it doesn’t seem to be multi-threaded.

theeth: Yeh it does work, but it does take a few clicks to do, considering you need to either truck the camera backwards to attain the viewpoint you had originally, or zoom your view out before aligning the camera. That is, when you align the camera to the viewport it is always in front of where you were viewing, and hence closer to whatever you were looking at.

I just wonder if this would be complicated to make possible. Is there a way to ask a dev how many hours of work something like this would entail? Or perhaps someone who knows the code would be able to shed some light on it. Or is there some specific reason that it was left out, that I don’t know about.

Though it looks like it doesn’t work when rendering to the image editor.

It does as long as you don’t close the image editor window (which sucks b/c in the default setup, it uses the 3D Window to render to).

Once again you enlighten me - thank you!

Pappy

That’s because it only aligns the camera with the viewport. To have a perfect fit, it would have to change the render size and modify the lens size too.

Martin

Where is the “Render this window” in 2.48? I haven’t used it before, but I can’t find it!

Is not there already command Ctrl-Alt-0 and F12 for this?

I’m not sure why you guys are trying to explain functionality that Dan already knows. What we have in blender is not the same as what max has. Plus it has the added downside of actually moving the camera, which is something you might not want to do.

I’d really like this feature too…it’s very cool.

Dan, there was a patch to do this a few years ago, somewhere 2004/2005.

From the user point of view It worked fine and I really enjoyed it, you could render from everywhere by just moving the 3dview, no extra cameras needed, the only thing is that it used the same “Render this window (hold CTRL for anim)’” button in the header, but that’s just adding a new button, later on I’ve been told that it was actually a mess (code wise) and with the years it has been deleted from the patch tracker.

+1 to this feature, not badly needed but one of those “would-be-nice-to-have”.

so far my suggestion is to take a couple of mouse-wheel backwards steps, then create a new camera and Ctrl+Alt+0 align it to the view. It works, even if it is not precise, or as cool as a one-button solution but.
It was mentioned Max but Cinema4D also has that solution, and you can even find it in Blender if you use Yaf(a)ray, which has that sometimes really useful “Render view” button in its UI