Render Layers

Can someone please take a look at my blend file and tell me why the eyes are rendering black? Been banging my head against the wall for a bit and finally decided I needed help!

Thanks.

Ian

monkey.blend (417 KB)

OK, so I actually made this same mistake when I was learning how to use the Render layers. The problem is that you don’t have any light in the second layer. If there’s no light on a scene, the layer will render black. So you can easily fix this by duplicating the Point lamp you have in the first layer, right clicking to leave it in the same place. Then hit M on the keyboard and move it to the second layer. Then it should render correctly.

Keep in mind though that you will have to mix the two layers together in the Compositor.

Thank you!!! I was starting to think that might be the answer but came back here to double check first. It sucks when something so simple can completely prevent me from moving on.

Thanks again!

Ian

I’m a little bit confused by this advice … a lamp, like anything else, can be “in” more than one layer at a time.

(Pardon that the word, “layer,” is one of the most ambiguous terms in the Blender jargon …)

Ya that makes sense. I think the point is that one way or other you need a light source on the second layer. I would think that using a unique lamp in the second layer would offer you more options, but isn’t always the best approach.

@sundialsvc4, I think you’re right, you could have the same lamps in both scene layers.

yes, there is an option on each lamp that says this layer only, right above specular, its a little check box

Vigorous nods of agreement with ifcruikshank. Sometimes this is exactly right. As it were, I often put things into separate blend files and link them into each one so that “common objects are common, and individual blend-files are small.”

Like most things in the computer world, it’s a trade-off. On the one hand, you are able to change one thing at one time and have the effect show up in several places. On the other, you have created a functional dependency between the two places, such that you no longer have the option (unless you change the setup, o’course …) to change one without also changing the other. If you’re doing funky tricks with compositing, this can indeed become a problem which manifests itself as “multiplying the light.”

You just have to consider what all of your options are, and what the implications of each choice are.