Render output as filmstrip

Hey guys, I’m a bit new with using blender, but I understand some of the critical basics.

I wanted to take a 3D model, and be able to generate a 36 frame filmstrip that has the object in 10 degree increments.

This is for making high quality game sprites for a space game, and because there’s a large number of ships that need to be done, I figured it would be worthwhile to figure out how to automate a large part of the process.

Piecing together 5000 frames by the noobish method of screenshotting renders, moving the object 10 degrees, rendering and screen shoting again… that’s a horrible way to go.

I have a hunch that something like this is out there somewhere, I just can’t seem to find effective key words.

Blender can create animations. You can create a 36 frame animation and define your object to rotate 360o in the 36 frames. This will give you a 10o rotation in each frame. When you then render the animation, you will have 36 frames written. Personally, I write each frame as a PNG file. When done, you will have a folder with 36 files. Using the Video Sequence Editor, you can then combine the frames as needed.

Neil

Ah, you know, I didn’t think of that. Thank you!
I got a few programs that could merge them together I think

ImageMagick can merge them easily enough.
For a horizontal strip of 36 64x64 images without gaps:
montage render*.png -tile 36x1 -geometry 64x64+0+0 output.png

-tile 1x36 for a vertical strip

If you’re using Windows, I don’t know if globbing (*.png) works.