Render problems

I have spend a lot of time doing a fine work, but my computer cant render it, because its to week to all those many vertices, edges, faces, shadows and textures. But my computer is one of the best and fastest you can get, and there really are MANY other renders on this side, with is mouth more detailed. How can I render my picture, so the blender program not crashes? And yes, I have yafray, if that matters anything.

You need to give us more info in order to help you.

Your system specs would be a good start, also what OS you’re running and what version of blender and yafray.

I’m guessing off the top of my head you might have subsurf turned way up. Though that shouldn’t cause a crash.

Fast computers don’t matter so much if you don’t have enough memory for the objects. Try rendering in layers to split it up, if you can and save on memory.

Anyway please post some info so we can find out what’s going wrong.

Okay, here some info about my 2 computers, (And none of them can render the picture)

The first: Intel Pentium III, 930 MHz, 384 MB RAM (Plus 4096 MB extra), about 38 GB free hard disc space, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 and Windows xp.

The second: Intel Pentium 4 CPU, 3 GHz, 1 GB RAM (Plus 4096 MB extra), about 60 GB free hard disc space, Hightech Excalibur Radeon 9250 128MB and a secondary Hightech Excalibur Radeon 9250 128MB and Windows xp.

Sorry, but I don’t even have an idea about what OS means.

Both of my computers having blender 2.40 and yafray 0.0.8

I have lots of different objects in my blender file, and I have subsurf on them all, but the highest level of subsurfing I have chosen is 3 (in rendering, yes).

Sonic TH wrote:
Fast computers don’t matter so much if you don’t have enough memory for the objects. Try rendering in layers to split it up, if you can and save on memory.

What do you mean with “memory of the objects”? And “Rendering in layers to split it up, and save on memory”? Can I split my picture up in different layers, render them, and then put them together? Or what is it that you say?

because its to week to all those many vertices, edges, faces, shadows and textures

Could you give more details on this.
You say your computer doesn’t render it. Does it give an errormessage or something?

It starts render it. But after 30 minutes or something like that, it just says that the program "Don’t answer”, and that blender.exe have made a seriously mistake.

Windows XP is an operating system

What do you mean with “memory of the objects”? And “Rendering in layers to split it up, and save on memory”? Can I split my picture up in different layers, render them, and then put them together? Or what is it that you say?

memory for the objects = RAM Blender needs enough RAM to be able to render the scene, otherwise it crashes. What’s the vertex count of what you’re trying to render? (look at the top right of the screen)

It just says that the program "Don’t answer”.

Do you mean that it ‘hangs’? Are you rendering in a seperate renderwindow? Have you tried rendering in the 3DView (F10, in Output panel select DispView)?

How many vertices does your scene have?

In the top right, the “Mem”, is only at 23.33M. I have lots of more than just that, but its still crashes?

Are you rendering in a seperate renderwindow? Have you tried rendering in the 3DView (F10, in Output panel select DispView)?

Sorry, I’m Danish, and that it doesn’t answer, is properly the same as “hangs” on an english computer. But I’m not sure! I have 224032 vertices.

well are you using anything complex like Ambient Occlusion, or Radiosity?

No I don’t. Just the objects, a lamp, a sun, a spot (without light), some colour and textures.

Well now I have, and it doesn’t work anyway.

I could include the .blend in a message here, but it don’t work in this forum! Then some of you could try to render it. And if you then maybe find a thing that could be a problem, tell it. %|

Here’s a filehost:
http://blender.isoserv.com/

Can’t get that to work :-?

There you go…

http://blender.isoserv.com/uploads/Snowman.zip

Seems like you’re subdividing to much to create smoothness/detail of the surfaces. It is beter to model the detail.

Like the snowman, it is easier crreated with 3 NURBS spheres instead of a highly subdivided mesh. The same for the snowflakes. These are relatively small objects and don’t need to be subdivided. The terrain the same, try to model the detail were you need it and only subdivide it once if needed.
Using a high subdiv count for smoothness/detail is allmost always a bad thing.

Now, to render this scene, try reducing the subdiv levels to one for the terrain, remove the subdiv from the snowflakes, replace the snowman with 3 nurbs spheres, try to lower the subdiv level for other objects as low as possible.

Thanks for the tip, but what on earth is NURBS spheres. And how to set them in? There is no NURBS spheres in my list of different meshes to set in.
Oh, and another thing: You mean subsurf, not subdivide, right?

oh, now i get it. Add -> Surface -> NURBS sphere