Render Taking Long Time

I’ve been sitting here watching this scene render, well it’s preaparing to render. Now the scene is rather complex. I added the character into the scene. Without him in it takes about 4 minutes to render and alone the character renders in about 30sec. But, I’ve been watching this render screen for like 10 minutes and it’s still black.
The “Filling Octree” number just keeps increasing. That’s the only reason I know it’s still doing something. I’m using the standard render settings in 2.42RC3 except for my resolution is 1024x768

What’s taking so long?

Also, does anyone know of a way to allow Blender to use more memory (to render faster). I have 2.5GB of RAM, but it’s only using around 260Mb.

Have you tried putting all the different render settings to a minimum when rendering, and the resolution at like 640 x 480 or lower?

Not sure about the first part of your question but you tend to get bottlenecks in your processor that limit how fast a rendering completes, which has nothing to do with the ammount of physical memory that you have on board. I believe that it has to do with the size of your L2 cache.

Hmmm, how high quality is the raytracing?

I am using ray tracing from one lamp. The character I added to the scene has a 72,000 particle count for his hair, but the thing is when I render the character along it renders in like 4 mins. and when I render the environment separate it renders in 7mins, but as soon as I add the character into the scene render time goes up to 50mins. I’ve tried doing a lower res render with no OSA or any special rendering commodities, but it still takes that 25 mins to render at 25%res.

I did another render with his particles off and it took around 40mins. What’s going on with this?

what do you have for reflection depth setting? and also ray transparency depth? if you are using those. set those to minimum that works

Reducing texture maps´s scale could make difference too.

Having cam start and end point to be set only to necessary depth can make a big difference in some cases, i am not totally sure but that is what i recall.

Maybe if I use the nodes system in the 2.42RC3 build then I can render the environment and character separately and compile them together. I’ll have to learn how to use the nodes first, but it will probably save rendering time.

My only concern is how to replicate the shadow of the character’s body on the environment if I render them separately. Anyone have any ideas for that?

My only concern is how to replicate the shadow of the character’s body on the environment if I render them separately. Anyone have any ideas for that?

to what ever the shadow casts on leave that also to second render pass and make shader of those objects to shadow only, that is how i would try it anyways.