render texture baking with python

I need to bake vertex colors to an image with python. 2.43 added the really nice render baking options which would be perfect for this, but I don’t see a way to do it with the current API. Am I missing it or has it not been added yet. Usually new features are added quickly, it’s a shame if this one doesn’t exist yet.

thanks,
bydesign

Just set the material for your object to use vertex colours. Maybe also swtich off shadows and such for the material… and bake… voila… no python needed.

Ok, I realize that I can do it without python, that doesn’t really answer my question. Say I want to bake the vertex colors on 500 objects that all need different size images … it’d be nice to have a way to automate based on parameters. So for now I’ll assume there’s no way to do it, but it’d be really awesome if developers could add this feature to the bpython api.

thanks,
bydesign

I don’t think that would be added soon, and I don’t think there’s access to the baking process from python yet? There is an old script for baking procedural textures… with some tweaking that could be used to bake multiple models, but it would be a big scripting job. And you’d want it to adjust the materials as well.

I’d hope all the models would be uv unwrapped already… otherwise you’d have to build that in as well.

It can be done, but not a quick job.